Best Bamboo Pillow for Sleeping
Bamboo pillows are quite a new invention. Though the first attempts to make bamboo textile are dated back to 1864, it’s the trend of the latest decades to use bamboo fiber for clothing, linen, and bedsheets. Especially popular are bamboo pillows: they are hypoallergenic and absorb moisture well. Mostly they are stuffed with memory foam, with pillow casing made of bamboo fiber. In addition, they have a cooling effect.
Tourism helped in popularizing this innovation, because after trying hotel bamboo pillows, tourists often wanted to recreate the same sleep experience at home. Now that tourism is in decline due to quarantine and social distancing, the demand remains. Getting yourself a top rated bamboo pillow seems like a magical rite that helps you through the day after you wake up on it.
In my studies, I learned, though, that even the best bamboo pillows are not equally good for sleeping. All the pros they have in theory can be flattened by poor manufacturing. More than that: even decently made ones differ by their shape and other properties, so they can be good for one sleeper and improper for others. In my bamboo pillow reviews below, I’ll cover the models I consider the best and specify where each of them shines.
Top 8 Best Bamboo Pillows: Panda Feelings and Calm Nights
Though pillows made with bamboo fiber are heavily advertised now as eco-friendly and versatilely comfortable, there will always be models that fit your manner more or less. Say, back, side and stomach sleepers require various types of pillows to have a good sleep and not get up exhausted by inconveniences. There are many individual traces I’ll cover on each of them.
And… one more thing. if you’re searching for Tempur-Pedic or Hotel Comfort bamboo pillows reviews, I’m sorry to disappoint you. Tempur-Pedic doesn’t use bamboo fiber at all (rarely it uses bamboo rayon, but these models are too few to mention); Hotel Comfort does, but it deserves a separate guide I’m to write one day. Instead, I’ll guide you through bamboo pillows by other vendors, accessible, affordable and worth some time.
Coop Home Goods Pillow with Bamboo Cover: Top Rated Bamboo Pillow
Coop Home Goods makes a lot of things beyond pillows: there are cushions, sheets, mattresses, covers for these all, and even deodorizers! The pillows are made in the USA; the office and the warehouse are based in LA. The price is also rather American than Chinese: above $50 for either king or Queen size.
Like most products I reviewed here, this one also has a removable outer cover of 40% bamboo rayon and 60% polyester (under a name of Lulltra, whatever it might mean). It’s as hypoallergenic and breathable as others (at least, so I felt).
The filling (traditionally characterized as memory foam) provides a medium soft feeling, so if you want it harder, you probably better choose one by Sleepsia. But if you’re okay with quite soft pillows, this one is worth giving a chance. The only inconvenience is that your pillow will require manual fluffing to remain as soft as it’s designed to be. The pillow comes with 0.5 lb extra filling, so if you want it thicker, you know what to do. Hardly will back sleepers feel any need to add more. But side sleepers will probably appreciate this. And if you don’t like lumpiness in the filling, this is the one that won’t let you experience this.
As spoiled as I am by many various pillows (covers, mattresses and stuff), I found this one equally comfortable to way more expensive ones. If you don’t know which one to choose, and it doesn’t have to be a “real bamboo pillow,” you’ll probably be good with it. Just fluff it every day and be prepared to a smell that may stay a little longer than you expect – though not forever.
- FINALLY – YOU HAVE FOUND THE ONE! – Meet the world’s best adjustable pillow. Customize it to achieve just the right individual balance between support and comfort. Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper – this is the pillow for you! Get ready for the most restful sleep you can experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT! - Foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Eden Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- A very soft and fluffy pillow;
- Adjustable thickness;
- Comes with extra filling;
- Good for any sort of sleeping;
- Needs frequent fluffing;
- The smell can stay long.
CozyCloud Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow: a Firm Bamboo Pillow as an Option
No wonder CozyCloud is a premium brand that prices its items so high: it’s based in Las Vegas, NV, where hotels fight to provide comfort for customers to pay more for. You can have its pillows for your home as well, though. The actual manufacturer behind this brand is Relief-Mart, Inc. for iDreamBest, LLC (if it matters to you). What certainly does matter is that these pillows are designed by chiropractors that makes them good assistance for your neck and spine, regardless of how you prefer to sleep.
With memory foam as the filling, the covers of these pillows are made of 60% polyester and 40$ bamboo rayon. This combination is said to be very breathable and provide sufficient cooling even in the hottest night. It doesn’t sound that attractive for ecoheads, but this combination really proves quite well cooling, with no extra gel layers. Among all, this makes pillows by CozyCloud machine washable; you should select cold water on delicate settings.
As for softness level, the firm bamboo pillow version, with another type of foam filling, isn’t specifically hard. This just means you won’t sink in so deep as you will on the “soft” version. So, the hard version provides better neck and back support, and the soft one will provide a better feel for those with flawless health. If you need a toprated bamboo pillow, take a closer look at this one.
All the items both on the official website and on its Amazon store are now discounted: instead of the original price, they are offered for about $53-$63. Let’s check in a month or two to see whether the original high prices (at about $200 per item) are fictional to highlight just as fictional a discount, or they will return.
- New Deluxe Design Offers Cozy, Down-Like Comfort, With Your Choice of Firmer or Softer Support That Won't Flatten Out! NOTE: PLEASE CHECK the SOLD BY SELLER NAME. The CozyCloud DELUXE Pillow is AN EXCLUSIVE PRODUCT of iDreamBest, LLC and It's Manufactured by Relief-Mart, Inc. ONLY CozyCloud DELUXE pillows SOLD BY iDreamBest, LLC or Relief-Mart, Inc. are GUARANTEED TO BE GENUINE and covered under our 10-YEAR WARRANTY and FREE EXCHANGE POLICY.
- HYPOALLERGENIC, High Quality U.S.A. Made Shredded Foam and Fiber Conforms to your individual size and is adaptable for stomach, back and side sleeping. HYPOALLERGENIC, High Quality U.S.A. Made Shredded Foam and Fiber Conforms to your individual size and is adaptable for stomach, back and side sleeping.
- Chiropractor created and recommended for proper neck support and spinal alignment. NO COST EXCHANGES From Firmer To Softer or Softer To Firmer If Needed. NO HASSLE 30-Night Return Policy.
- Breathable cover of bamboo and polyester;
- Size and softness options;
- Configurable shape;
- Machine washable;
- 10-year warranty.
- The discount seems fictional, thus the real price lower;
- You expect natural materials from premium brands.
Dreaming Wapiti Pillows with Bamboo Cover
Dreaming Wapiti – could one ever come up with a cuter name? It’s a shame that I couldn’t find any information about the actual manufacturer of these pillows (though the support says they’re made in China, that’s all). The name shows on Amazon and other online stores, but nothing else. Still, let’s review the pillows themselves. The option I consider is a 2-pack of Queen size pillows. Slightly more expensive than a single king size pillow, it makes more sense as it lets you regulate the thickness of each pillow and select one or two ones.
As for the pillows, the covers are made of 40% bamboo rayon and 60% polyester, just like the ones by CozyCloud. The filling is memory foam; you can adjust the thickness by removing some foam. The videos by the vendor recommend that you remove about 25% of it to sleep on your back but keep it full for side- or stomach-sleeping. You can rely on these recommendations as the basics, but adjust the pillows for yourself, according to how it feels. If you, on the contrary, need some extra foam to make the pillow thicker or to replace the foam you have lost, the vendor is ready to send it to you for free.
The pillow itself is not washable, but, as the vendor says, it’s enough to only machine-wash the cover. The inside with the foam just has to be ventilated enough. As for ventilation, I recommend to hang them out for some longer time and wash the cover the very day you get them. The matter is the smell: though I noticed just a slight smell, some buyers complain about it being strong enough to make their experience intolerable. Most users, though, find it not so terrible and report about the smell wearing out in a day or two.
- Comes in 2-packs;
- Size options and adjustable thickness;
- Breathable cover;
- You can have extra foam for free;
- Needs no washing.
- The actual vendor is almost unknown;
- Its smell can be too strong.
Sleepsia Bamboo Pillow: A Shredded Bamboo Pillow for Those Who Like It Hard
And again, here’s the name that you want to chant as a lullaby. The company that specializes in pillows tells little about itself on its website, so you can conclude it’s actually Chinese. But almost everything is now made in China, the question is the quality. And this one appears one of the most decent.
The model I review has a bamboo cover and memory foam filling – quite a good combination. The case is washable, and the foam is removable, exactly like in other pillows of this sort, so you can adjust the thickness of the pillow. Unlike other vendors, Sleepsia sends you a pack of extra foam along with the pillow, so you can either make it thicker straight away or replace the missing foam if some of it gets lost. With added shredded bamboo, pillow use may feel a bit too firm.
As for the bamboo, its exact condition is not specified, so I conclude it’s rayon; at least, so it feels. Quite thin and silky, the cover feels similar to those above with the combination of bamboo rayon and polyester, though not exactly the same. The breathability is okay; as for the filling, though, it feels a bit hard. Those with back and neck aches and other problems may appreciate that; others may feel discomfort, so the pillows will need daily refluffing.
Some buyers also complain that the seller does not send additional filling (despite the extras included always arrive) or extra washable covers. I did not encounter this, but I know sometimes it happens. On the other hand, Sleepsia offers probably the most affordable option on my list, so if you don’t mind its trademark firmness, the deal is good.
- Immerse yourself in Peaceful Sleep - Our shredded memory foam pillow provides your neck, shoulder, and upper back muscles efficient support throughout the night. Sleep like an angel with our pillow.
- Release Tension after a Hard day - Relax after a long day with our bamboo cooling pillow.These bed pillows are perfect for that much-needed rest and recovery.
- Enjoy healthy sleep conditions -Memory foam pillows will allow for better air circulation. A cool pillow means a more comfortable and clean sleep for you
- Adjustable thickness;
- Big size;
- Great if you want it firm;
- Little is known about the vendor;
- The filling may feel too firm;
- The seller may miss some items when packing.
Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Pillow: If You Need a Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow
Though the name Snuggle-Pedic reminds of another you-know-what brand, it’s quite a manufacturer in its own right, producing bamboo pillows, mattresses, and stuff. If you’re after natural bamboo fiber, though, you can scroll on. The material Snuggle-Pedic uses for covers is rayon – the bamboo viscose made with patented technology Kool-Flow. This makes these covers even more breathable than the default blend of bamboo rayon and polyester. The difference is slight; for some, though, it may matter.
The Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Pillow follows the best examples around. It’s filled with memory foam, and it comes with a pack of extra foam with a playful instruction on the pack. The adjusting process is the same as with other pillows I have reviewed here. Unzip the inner cover to remove or add some foam; if you want it flatter, store the foam somewhere else to return it when it’s necessary.
As for the filling itself, it’s an example of a bamboo soft pillow, unlike that of Sleepsia’s products. Due to this, it’s good for whatever sleepers, including the pregnant. By the way, the memory foam used here is also made of bamboo. On the other hand, its softness may lead to the pillow getting flat after sleeping on it, so one will have to refluff it.
The pillows are advertised as hypoallergenic (true) and dust-mite resistant. It’s quite a good choice if you’re an allergic type and want a hypoallergenic bamboo pillow. The components are all tested in labs (at least, so it’s said), and one of its effects is much less problem with smell.
As for the price, it’s not terrible even when compared to Sleepsia with its unclear origins. The pillow comes in standard, king and Queen size options. But even if you guessed your perfect size right, you may have to spend many days trying to calculate your perfect softness, removing filling and adding it back.
- Adjustable - Find your perfect match! Whether you prefer firmness or softness, this side sleeper pillow includes Adjustable shredded memory foam that lets you choose the way you snooze.
- Certified - Rest easy knowing our memory foam pillow is both Certi-PUR-US and GreenGuard Gold Certified. No more losing sleep over your pillow's lack of quality.
- Kool-Flow Tech - Just when you thought this pillow couldn't get any cooler! The breathability and Kool-Flow Tech of our bed pillow makes sweating while sleeping a thing of the past.
- All American made;
- Comes in many sizes, all adjustable;
- All components hypoallergenic;
- Quite lightweight;
- Reasonable price.
- The foam is so soft that it goes flat easily;
- Adjusting may try more attempts than you expect.
Bamboo Life Pillow: The Best Bamboo Pillows for the Price
The selling point of these pillows by an almost unknown vendor is its price. You get two Queen or king size bamboo pillows for the price of one (by, say, Coop Home Goods). Of course, single items are also available. The quality is said not to be dramatically worse than the more expensive ones, and rather be the same.
While the manufacturer names the cover material “bamboo fabric”, calling it exclusive, it feels just like bamboo rayon by other vendors. Its softness is almost the same as that of rayon-polyester covers; that is, it’s very soft and clearly breathable. The filling is shredded foam, feeling quite soft under the head until it gets chunky and requires refluffing. It can be added or removed to achieve the perfect thickness; of course, you can’t expect any extras for such a bargain price.
Like most pillows of this sort, these need to be dried up a little to get fluffy. In the future, the owner would have to fluff them up in a dryer or manually every once in a while. The softness is medium; there are no “soft” and “firm” versions. There is also often a smell that this sort of pillows may have. It usually wears out very quickly, but sometimes it stays longer than expected.
The manufacturer is quite new; probably, this is the explanation for the price (as well as for the lack of information). There are few ratings, and no direct answer when asked where the pillows are actually manufactured.
- PERFECT CONSTRUCTION: BambooLife pillows are manufactured from the highest grades of shredded memory foam. It is covered in our unique Bamboo fabric. Bamboo fabrics produce fewer allergens, so they are a viable alternative for asthmatics and allergy sufferers. We use a cooling shredded foam technology to keep you cool all night. The breathable pillow case keeps your pillow dry and provides maximum comfort, preventing sweating.
- PILLOW CASE WITH ZIPPER: Our pillow cases with zipper opening on the inner liner allow you to adjust to a suitable height and volume by removing or adding the shredded memory foam. Also with this zippered design case you can remove the pillow case to clean and wash.
- HEALTHY SLEEP POSITIONS: It is ideal for all sleep positions (back, stomach and side sleepers). Our shredded foam memory mix was designed to contour to the shape of your spine and provide proper spinal alignment, giving you proper orthopedic support throughout the night.
- Decent quality;
- Adjustable thickness;
- Antiallergenic fabric;
- Very affordable.
- The manufacturer is unknown;
- A smell may stay.
WonderSleep: Shredded Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow
WonderSleep, the vendor that actually manufactures this model, is controlled by Endliss Technology Inc. (no typo). The exact sphere of interests of Endliss Technology is quite vague, and, as I click buttons on its site, an ad appears that looks like the worst of those in free mobile games. That makes me suspicious even before I touch the pillow itself.
When I see one, it’s a Queen size pillow that feels unusually lightweight. This is (as the vendor says) due to unique proprietary filling, 80% shredded memory foam and 20% polyester fiber. Well, this foam really feels softer (while giving no sinking feeling) and generates no – or very few – blocky bumps. As for the cover, it’s made of an already familiar combination: 40% bamboo rayon, 60% polyester. This is a soft, thin, durable and breathable combination; no wonder it has become a sort of default.
The materials used for this pillow are hypoallergenic; still, I can say that about all the pillows I mentioned. It goes out to both the cover and the foam. By the way, the thickness can be adjusted the usual way: unzip the inner cover and add or remove some filling. Alas, there is no extra filling the pillow comes with. It’s a shame, because this foam with polyester is quite a good option.
These pillows, unlike others, are made in China, and the manufacturer admits that. Still, the quality feels solid and decent. The smell seems almost absent, and the filling weightless. On the other hand, the pillow needs to be constantly refluffed in a dryer or manually; otherwise, it may become rock solid, and that’s not the sort of solid you consider good.
- [SET OF 2 Pillow] Adjusted Comfort - Wondersleep’s pillow features shredded memory foam filling that provides therapeutic relief for all sleepers. Add and/or remove foam filling to find the perfect comfort level and enjoy a personalized sleep experience.
- Safe and Sound - Featuring premium fabric to ensure your pillow stays cool and luxurious through the night. The pillow is made from 80% shredded memory foam and 20% polyester-fiber, providing personalized support to your head, neck and shoulders, relieving pain and enhancing your sleep.
- Quality Materials - The pillow is wrapped in a breathable cover made up of 40% Viscose Rayon (via Bamboo) and 60% Polyester. It is dust resistant to provide users with undisturbed slumber. Also, the zippered cover and pillow are both machine washable.
- A very lightweight model;
- Original materials used;
- Adjustable thickness;
- Affordable price.
- No extra filling included;
- Needs refluffing constantly.
Xtreme Comforts 100% Bamboo Pillow Inside & Out: A Bamboo Soft Pillow You Can Adjust
Xtreme Comforts is a brand from Bronxville, NY, founded quite recently. It has gained large popularity, though, due to some innovations that proved demanded. For example, Xtreme Comfort produces machine washable pillows that are easy to dry afterwards.
As for its Inside & Out Bamboo Pillow, it’s not that sort of machine washable pillows; only its cover is machine washable. It’s a bamboo filled pillow instead of traditional memory foam, its cover also being made of it. Frankly speaking, it’s not the bamboo fiber that the cover is made of; it’s bamboo viscose, also known as rayon, used for both cover and filling. In the video instruction, the vendor does not specify that. But that’s what makes the pillow that washable. Officially it’s 3 times softer than silk; I didn’t measure, but it really feels soft. It’s also hypoallergenic and cooling, so if you try various stay cool bamboo pillows, you may finally settle for these.
The item comes in two sizes, so if you need a king or a Queen size bamboo pillow, you can just select the necessary option. The price differs; Queen size is a bit more expensive. Both sizes, though, share adjustability: you can adjust the thickness of the pillow by removing or adding some filling. There is a special zipper for that at the back of the pillow. Due to this, the size can be adjusted to your manner, no matter if you’re a back, side, or stomach sleeper. Alas, if you want to make the pillow still thicker, you can’t just buy more filling from the vendor (like you do with foam). You will have to either purchase it elsewhere or get an extra pillow as the source of extra filling and an extra cover in case one gets damaged.
The price of the pillow is quite affordable also; even Queen size, the more expensive option, is under $50.
- Adjustable - Our luxury pillow is designed with a double zipper that allows you to adjust the thickness to your liking. Whether you like it firm, flat, or fluffy, you can find your fit here!
- 100% Bamboo - Lay in the lap of luxury! The cover and pillow foam are made of soft, soothing viscose of bamboo, inside and out.
- Cooling - Our cooling bed pillows won't leave you sweating. No matter what time of year it is, your temperature will stay regulated.
- Adjustable thickness;
- Fully machine-washable;
- Comes in two sizes;
- Affordable price.
- It’s bamboo rayon instead of fiber;
- No extra filling is sold separately.
Buyer’s Guide for Bamboo Pillows
Well, you might have read all the reviews (and maybe some more), and now you’re wondering which bamboo pillow to choose. The most important thing about it is that pillows are tactile. Interacting with a pillow, you will mostly touch it with your head, your hair, your cheeks. You will breathe near it. So, tactility rules. And that’s what advantages of bamboo pillows are mostly about. So, here are instructions on how to choose the best bamboo pillow.
How to choose the best bamboo pillow
- Choose adjustability. If the filling can be partly removed or returned, this means you can adjust it the way you like. It’s great if the manufacturer includes a pack of extra filling. If not, check whether you can order more if necessary and if it is for free.
- Mind its size. When you select a pillow, acknowledge that its primary mission is to bring you comfort as you sleep. With adjustable pillows, it’s not easy to guess from the start, but nevertheless. Anyway, even if the thickness can be changed, dimensions remain. If you’re not good with a standard pillow, select Queen or even King size.
- Softness. It mostly depends on the filling: a solid piece of foam is always harder than shredded foam. On the other hand, the same model can come with harder or softer filling. If you cannot touch them both with your own hand (or cheek), you better read the reviews by other users.
- Breathability. Most models come with covers made of 40% bamboo rayon and 60% polyester, and most customers are good with it. But if you dislike it for whatever reason, try, for example, combination of bamboo and microfiber.
- Check your reaction. Though the material of these pillows is mostly hypoallergenic, you risk making an exception. So, if you feel any unhealthy reaction after sleeping on the pillow, you better return it, even if you’re completely good with its size and softness.
If you have made your decision but suddenly get disappointed, you need to check whether you have been sent a defective item. But even if not, it’s your right to return it.
Benefits of Using a Bamboo Pillow
You have probably read them; but let me nevertheless highlight the best things about bamboo pillows again.
- Antimicrobial feature. Sleeping on a bamboo pillow (regardless of the technology used) means that it kills or repels microbes with its natural components.
- Hypoallergenic properties. They are not 100%, but people allergic to bamboo covers or filling are very rare.
- Good cooling features. The combination of bamboo rayon and polyester is very breathable, removing the moisture and keeping your head dry and cool.
- Bamboo fiber used in the filling makes it easier to adjust the thickness of the pillow and thus make it truly versatile.
- Removable filling. Not that it’s an exclusive feature of bamboo pillows, but they are strongly bound. But even pillows without zippers for that can be shaped to maximize the comfort.
In fact, it’s hard to tell the pros of the bamboo as a material from those of the tradition of bamboo pillows (like removable filling, using shredded foam, and so on). But it doesn’t matter that much. Just enjoy the array of virtues your bamboo pillow has!
FAQ on Bamboo Pillows
Have questions about bamboo pillows? I’ve prepared the answers on the most frequently asked questions below.
Are bamboo pillows organic?
There are different bamboo pillows. If bamboo fiber used for covers is definitely organic, it can’t be said that surely about bamboo viscose (rayon) that gets chemically processed. In addition, rayon is usually blended with polyester that’s definitely synthetic. But even these viscose-polyester covers do their job well, unless you have that special sort of allergy.
Are bamboo pillows friendly to my skin?
The only way to learn is to try. Again, you may react differently to bamboo fiber and bamboo viscose.
How to wash bamboo pillow?
Covers of bamboo pillows are almost all machine washable. But you should use cold water and then dry it on low heat. Sometimes you can wash even the pillow itself, with no bad effect for the filling. If the manufacturer says you can, the instructions are usually included, and they are similar to those for bamboo covers.
How can I fluff my bamboo pillow?
Even though the foam is said to have memory effect, manual fluffing is sometimes necessary. To refluff the pillow, you need to shake it in all directions until you feel it reshaped. When undisturbed, it can take many hours; shaking helps accelerate the process. Another way to accelerate reshaping is to put the pillow in the dryer for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
Can I put another case over the one it comes with if it feels more comfortable with it?
Sure, you can. No matter if you have the hypoallergenic cover inside or outside, it will preserve its properties. But generally, you don’t have to at all.
How long can a bamboo pillow last?
If you use it every night and wash it at least once every three months, you can expect it to last for at least two years. This time can be prolonged, though, if you periodically replace the filling with extras you get from the manufacturer (often included). You can also replace inner or outer covers if they get worn out. This way, by partial replacements, your pillow may, in theory, last forever, like the ship of Theseus.
If it’s time to refresh your pillows, and you have never tried bamboo as a material, why not make a little discovery? Bamboo pillows are popular nowadays. And I frankly hope it made sense to write all these the most comfortable pillow bamboo reviews.
It took more than one night to examine each of these.
Have you ever tried one of these, or any bamboo pillow at all? Did it really feel better to sleep on it? What can you say about its softness or coolness, breathability or comfort? Was it easy to adjust to your manner of sleeping?
Last update on 2022-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API