Best Pillow for Sciatica: A Detailed Comparative Review
How often do you experience lower back pain? Sciatica is manifested by unpleasant sensations in the sciatic nerve, buttocks, and legs. As the disease develops, it becomes difficult to lie and sit, so you have to look for comfortable poses and pillows continually.
In this article, I would like to share my opinion on therapeutic sciatica pillows. They help people with the disease to lead full lives without being constrained by pain. The best pillow for sciatica is necessary for sufficient sleep and rest in a sitting position. Anatomic material filling increases your comfort level and lets you forget about the inconveniences. But how do you choose a sciatica pillow for sleeping or work?
Nowadays, manufacturers offer many models of different costs and shapes. As I have been dealing with sleeping and resting problems for many years, I will help you make a thoughtful choice.
|1||DMI Wedge Pillow, Leg Pillow, Bolster Pillow,...||14,600 Reviews||$52.03 $28.98||Check on Amazon|
|2||Contour Legacy Leg & Knee Foam Support Pillow -...||26,178 Reviews||$40.00 $24.99||Check on Amazon|
|3||THERALUX Sciatica Pillow for Sitting Pain Relief -...||187 Reviews||$39.99||Check on Amazon|
|4||Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion Pillow for Office...||90,673 Reviews||$80.24 $49.95||Check on Amazon|
|5||Everlasting Comfort Bolster Pillow for Legs and...||3,704 Reviews||$37.95 $29.95||Check on Amazon|
|6||Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers - Sciatica Pain...||2,677 Reviews||$25.99||Check on Amazon|
|7||ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow and Leg Pillow...||28,255 Reviews||$29.95 $21.95||Check on Amazon|
|8||Luna Orthopedic Knee Pillow for Sciatica Relief,...||7,312 Reviews||$19.97||Check on Amazon|
|9||Sleepavo Memory Foam Seat Cushion - Chair Pillow...||3,957 Reviews||$39.99 $32.99||Check on Amazon|
|10||Everlasting Comfort Knee Pillow for Sleeping -...||13,076 Reviews||$39.95 $26.95||Check on Amazon|
Top 3 Best Sleeping Pillows for Sciatica
There is no unambiguous answer to the question of what is the best cushion for sciatica, as different models have their advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, I will look at the most comfortable and effective sciatica cushions that you can order at home today.
ComfiLife – One of the Best Pillows for Sciatic Nerve Pain
ComfiLife 100% Memory Foam is a perfect pillow for sciatic nerve pain. Its filler repeats the anatomic shape of the body and supports your legs and thighs during rest. I like to place ComfiLife under the legs while sleeping, and during the daytime, but you can use it for your head and upper body as well.
Let’s see how this sciatica pillow works: its special shape contributes to the straightening of the spine, which neutralizes pain in the sciatic nerve. After all, choosing the correct position of the torso is your number one rule for sciatica treatment.
This sciatica pain relief pillow can also be used for recovery from injuries in knee joints, neck, or ankles. The anatomical shape of the pillow is convenient for placing it between the thighs. The filler contains 100% foam, which has a memory function.
The ergonomic shape is kept for several years, so the purchase will be practical, durable, and economical. Due to the correct positioning of the body with this cushion, the blood circulation is improved. This reduces tension in the sciatic nerve and eliminates severe pain, fatigue, and tension in the legs or torso.
I like that this pillow for sciatic nerve pain has a breathable, adjustable zippered cover. You can easily remove it for washing and cleaning. With its porous filler and breathable cover, this pillow for sciatic nerve pain is comfortable for sleep, even if it’s hot. The upholstery material does not heat up, so your feet stay comfortable all night. And in the cold season, the cover keeps the temperature of the human body.
The ComfiLife’s leg pillow for back pain weighs 8 ounces and measures 9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches. These dimensions make the pillow lightweight and compact.
ComfiLife is widely known for its quality orthopedic products for sleep and rest. These features make this best cushion for sciatica one of the most popular among buyers. Many people I know who have back and leg pains use this product.
- Sciatica, Back & Hip Pain Relief at Night - Ergonomically designed knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees and provides maximum support and comfort at night that helps relieve sciatica pain and pressure on the lower back. ComfiLife knee pillow is designed to help relieve back pain at night however it may not work for all conditions or completely eliminate all symptoms or pain. It may take a few days for your body to get adjusted to using a knee pillow at night and see results
- Premium High-Density Memory Foam - Made with 100% premium quality durable cut memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours, superior to other pillows it won't go flat over time
- Ergonomic Design - Ergonomic contoured design keeps your legs, hip and spine in ideal alignment while sleeping and improves circulation. Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches
- Anatomical shape;
- Lightweight and compact;
- Removable cover.
- Not found.
Elviros – The Orthopedic Leg Pillow for Back Pain
Elviros provides one of the most comfortable orthopedic foot pillows. It consists of two parts, so you can use it for two legs at once. This is the main advantage of this model, as I have never seen similar functionality in other pillows with memory effect.
The filler is 100% foam of medium density, on top of which is a dense cover made of a mixture of cotton and synthetic materials. But it is convenient to lie on this orthopedic pillow both in winter and in summer as the material is thermoregulating. The foam does not overheat in summer or cool down in winter, maintaining the body’s natural temperature when you lie on this pillow.
In addition to the main two layers, there is an additional element in the upper part that is attached to the velcro. This layer allows you to adjust the entire cushion`s height or place it separately under your hands or head. For a loyal price, you get one double cushion and another small one.
The memory effect pillow from Elviros is used to level out your body while you sleep. It is a necessary thing for those diagnosed with sciatica or a curved spine. Correct body position with the anatomical support of Elviros pillows relieves pain in the sciatic nerve, coccyx, and knees.
The cushion has a size of 8.46 x 8.07 x 10.63 inches and weighs 1.54 pounds (it is 8.46 x 8.07 x 10.63 inches when folded out ).
- ✅TOP DETACHABLE DESIGN: This leg pillow has a total of three layers, the bottom two layers are the regular leg pillow height; at the top, we have added a layer of detachable design.3-Level comfort design gives you more options, lets you find the most perfect fit for your body.
- ✅MULTI-PURPOSE RElIEVE PAIN: Our knee pillow strap keeps your pillow in place (at either your upper or lower leg) for gentle support in any side sleeping position. Eases back, leg, knee, ankle and hip joint pain by providing proper spinal alignment and reducing pressure while sleeping.
- ✅100% PREMIUM QUALITY MEMORY FOAM – Made of the highest quality memory foam, our orthopedic knee pillow is designed on the latest trend, providing firm support with amazing comfort and softness.
- Three pillows in one;
- 100% memory foam filler;
- Affordable price per pillow transformer.
- Sleeping on a pillow in summer can be hot.
Cushy Form – Soft Sciatica Pillow for Sleeping with Memory Effect
The Cushy Form orthopedic pillow is designed to eliminate back and joint pains. The unique shape is necessary for placing the pillow between legs or under the body while resting in bed. It is essential to even out your posture during sleep if you have sciatica as the load on the spine and coccyx causes sciatic nerve pain.
You can put this orthopedic pillow under one or two legs in any position. There are two notches on the pillow`s sides, which repeat the shape of the legs entirely. The company specifies that the anatomical form is suitable not only for people with sciatica but also for pregnant women.
The inner filler is memory foam. Conveniently, you can remove the cover at any time and wash it in the washing machine. And for transporting the pillows, there is a bag with a carrying handle.
I like this particular orthopedic cushion because of the upholstered case. The material does not cause discomfort during rest. However, the inner filler doesn`t keep the temperature. Therefore, sleeping with this pillow can be hot in summer and cool in winter.
The anatomical shape and memory effect of the foam filler has been subjected to numerous tests. Therefore, therapists, physiotherapists, and rehabilitation specialists often recommend using this orthopedic pillow for correct body position during sleep.
I have noticed that the density of the filler varies with the ambient temperature. It gets softer in warm times and denser in cold environments. I can’t call this a big advantage, as the pillow becomes too soft after heating. The foam density also depends on the load on it. The higher the load, the denser the material becomes.
The company has also taken care of the use of hypoallergenic materials in the production of this item. The cover is made of cotton fabric with the addition of polyester and elastane. It is practical, as it can be removed and washed or replaced at any time. However, the manufacturer provides a warranty for only 1 year. And the identical products from ComfiLife are covered by a lifetime warranty.
Cushy Form soft pillow is an excellent choice for those who suffer from sciatica and find it challenging to adjust the body in a comfortable position while sleeping. This model of pillow is also chosen by pregnant women and those who suffer from headaches.
- SUPERIOR - Our contour knee wedge is made with premium memory foam for a comfortable night's sleep by elevating your upper knee. These therapeutic leg pillows for side sleeping also encourage better posture.
- RELIEF - This wedge pillow for sleeping eases back, leg, knee, ankle, and hip pain, as well as discomfort associated with sciatic nerve pain, by reducing pressure put on the on joints while sleeping.
- COMFORT - Use this bolster pillow to promote improved circulation, which provides numerous benefits to overall health. Use this knee pillow for side sleepers, for lower back pain while pregnant, or for post surgery recovery. It includes a washable cover and storage bag for travel!
- Filler with memory effect;
- Convenient case for transport;
- Replaceable case.
- Only 1 year warranty.
Top 3 Best Seating Pillows for Sciatica
ComfiLife Gel – Comfortable Seat Cushions for Sciatica
Often back, coccyx or leg pains occur in the sitting position of the body. What if at this point you are at work and can’t lie down to rest? In such cases, I use orthopedic seat cushion for sciatica from ComfiLife. Recently, a new line of orthopedic chair cushions was introduced.
They are comfortable to sit on even for a long time. Correct load distribution and anatomical support of the buttocks contribute to posture straightening. The unique gel filler is very soft, so the sciatic nerve does not experience heavy stress.
Please note that this seat cushion for sciatica fully replicates the shape of the buttocks. So you will not notice how you spend a few hours on a soft surface. The foam filler has a memory effect. Therefore, the pillow retains its shape and density for several months or even years of active use.
The upper part of the pillow is made of a special gel coating with a cooling effect. This is necessary so that the material does not heat up after a long time you sit on the pillow. Otherwise, in summer, it would be difficult to use this orthopedic pillow to its fullest extent. But the manufacturer has taken care of it.
The lower part of the cover is made of dense material with an anti-slip effect. Therefore, this best seat cushion for back pain does not slide on the surface of the chair. And for transportation, it is convenient to use unique rubber, sewn into the cover. If necessary, you can remove the upholstery, as it is fixed to the zipper. For these benefits, I started using cushions for sciatica relief from ComfiLife.
ComfiLife is one of the best anatomical pillows for those who spend a lot of time sitting. For example, truck drivers or office workers. But this cushion is not suitable for overweight people because of the low density of foam material.
- Most Comfortable Gel Memory Foam Cushion On The Market - ComfiLife's all-in-one features are unrivaled: Non-slip rubber bottom, built-in handle for easy transport and machine-washable zippered velour cover for easy cleaning. The ComfiLife Coccyx Cushion is the best gel memory foam seat cushion on the market made of premium quality durable memory foam with cool off gel layer on top for superior comfort
- Supports Tailbone and Relieves Pressure - Ergonomically designed seat cushion provides maximum support and comfort while reducing pressure on the coccyx / tailbone and promotes healthy posture
- Provides Lower Back Pain & Sciatica Relief, Great for Office Use, Driving & Traveling - Supports recovery from lower back problems, herniated discs, tailbone injuries, sciatica and other spinal issues. Great for office, home, travel, car seat or wheelchair use. Machine-washable zippered velour cover for easy cleaning and built-in handle for easy transport
- Easy to use;
- Anti-slip surface;
- Lifetime Warranty;
- Anatomic shape.
- Not suitable for overweight people.
Seat Cushions for Sciatica by Everlasting Comfort
The company Everlasting Comfort develops and produces anatomical cushions. I like the products of this brand because of its affordable prices and practicality. Seat Cushion for Office Chair from this American company is made of 100% foam without adding external materials.
The memory effect is quite pronounced here, so for several years, the cushion will have its original shape even after repeated use. The foam filler reacts to body heat and load by changing the density according to the environment.
During the cold season, it warms the buttocks and coccyx, normalizing body circulation. And in summer, sitting on such a pillow will be comfortable because of the porous structure and air exchange. Constant air circulation is essential if you spend a lot of time in leather chairs.
The U-shaped orthopedic pillow allows you to sit comfortably on it. The relief surface reduces the load on the spine, which neutralizes the pain in the lower back. 100% foam in the composition perfectly cushions all hard surfaces. If you continuously sit on plastic or hard office chairs, you need to consider buying specialized cushions.
The advantages of Everlasting Comfort products and this particular item include:
- Removable cover for laundry and replacement;
- Anti-slip coating;
- Thermoregulating material;
- Includes 100% foam without harmful substances;
- The filler and cover materials are entirely hypoallergenic.
The size of the orthopedic pillow is 17.5 x 13.5 x 2.75 inches. Note that this may not be enough for large chairs and massive people.
However, in reviews, customers write that even if they are overweight, the cushions perform their function. In this case, their service life is slightly reduced, as the foam loses its density under high pressure.
The features of this cushion include its practicality. Although this model is not waterproof, the thick cover protects the foam filler from water and dirt. And if you want, you can unzip and remove the cover to wash it in a washing machine or take it to the dry cleaners.
Everlasting Comfort provides a lifetime warranty on this orthopedic cushion for sciatica. If the quality is not satisfactory or the desired effect is not achieved, you can return or replace it. However, numerous reviews have shown that many people have already got rid of coccyx pain thanks to this anatomical Everlasting Comfort cushion.
- 🪑Simple Solution to Your Uncomfortable Chair Problem: Made with pure memory foam, our pressure relief seat cushion uses your own body heat to adapt to your curves, giving you the support your current office chair lacks
- 🖥️Work In Total Comfort, Not Pain: Hard seating surfaces lead to pressure points in your lower body; with our seat cushion for office chair it cradles your bottom, reducing pain and fatigue in your lower back, hips, and sciatic nerve
- 👍Effective Tailbone Pain Relief Cushion: Designed with an ergonomic "U" shaped cutout, our office chair cushion suspends your coccyx above hard seating surfaces, relieving pressure and improving posture
- Orthopedic shape;
- The density of the material adjusts according to the temperature;
- Suitable for pregnant women, drivers, and office workers.
- Not big enough;
- Not suitable for massive people.
Xtreme Comforts – Orthopedic Seat Cushion for Sciatica
The orthopedic pillow Xtreme Comforts has a U-shape, which is due to its property of anatomical support. The neckline is made so that the coccyx is relieved from the excess load in a sitting position. Rigid and flat office chairs are not suitable for long sitting work, as they distort the spine.
The Xtreme Comforts cushion is designed for people with sciatica who spend a lot of time sitting. The internal foam fill is called ORTHO-SEAT. Doctors recommend it for those who work in the office and spend a lot of time driving, as well as for pregnant women and disabled people.
The cushion against sciatica and back pain has an entirely breathable mesh cover. Free air circulation promotes temperature comfort. It is not hot to sleep with such a pillow in summer and not cold in winter. The cover is made of synthetic material, but polyester does not cause allergies or skin irritations.
Among the thousands of customer reviews, there is not a single mention of poor quality cover. Conveniently, you can remove it from the pillow and wash it in the washing machine. At the bottom of the orthopedic cushion, there is a special Bottom Non Skid coating against sliding on a chair.
The Xtreme Comforts cushion against sciatica and back pain may appear too stiff due to the height of more than 3 inches (size 17.6 x 3.11 x 13.19 inches). Sitting on high chairs with low backrest will be uncomfortable. However, this cushion has no additional drawbacks.
- COMFORTABLE FOR EXTENDED TIME: Adating to your body, our versitle car seat cushion can help you to ease some of that back and posterior discomfort. Big enough for comfort, small enough for convenience! OEKO-TEX and Certi-PUR US certified
- GREAT FOR POSTURE - This versatile home office chair cushion doesn't just promote lumbar support & relief, tailbone, and posterior discomfort - it also promotes a stronger seated posture. Enjoy lower back pain relief with this office chair back support!
- WON'T FALL OFF CHAIR - Our cushions come with a handle for travel as outdoor chair cushions or seat cushions for office chairs. The anti-slip bottom of our chair pads are designed to keep your pillow in place.
- An affordable price;
- Mesh breathable cover;
- Made of Deluxe Body Active Memory Foam.
- It doesn’t squeeze well under low weight.
Answers to Common Questions
Below, I would like to answer the most common questions regarding the choice of pillows against sciatica. My back pain problem has been solved through this.
What is sciatica pillow?
Sciatica Pillow is made of 100% memory foam. The anatomic material follows the shape of the body and keeps its density for a long time. This is necessary so that in a sitting or lying position, the human body has the correct position without curvature of the spine. Seat cushions have a U-shape with a neckline for the coccyx (the coccyx remains relaxed when you sit). This relieves pain from the back and sciatic nerve.
Anti-sciatica cushions have notches for the legs – you need to put them under the knees or body to level the spine and relieve the load from the back. After a few weeks, the sciatic nerve will no longer hurt, as evidenced by numerous customer reviews.
I use orthopedic pillows in the office and at home when I spend a lot of time sitting. Even in the first 10 minutes of using an anatomical cushion, you will feel a lightness in the back and coccyx. The special relief shape reduces the load on the back due to the correct body position.
This is important because even the most expensive office and home chairs have no anatomical shape. All the load in a sitting position lies on the coccyx and the lower back. And, in this case, the torso deforms, causing pain and sciatica.
How to choose a pillow for sciatica?
Sciatica pillows are divided into two categories:
- For lying position;
- For sitting position.
I recommend using both types of cushions at home or work, so that most of the time, the body is in the right position, and the coccyx is not overloaded by body weight on a hard and flat office chair. The size of the cushion should be considered when choosing.
Too high models are inconvenient for people of small stature. It is also necessary to make a choice of taking into account the density. In descriptions, the manufacturer usually specifies how soft a cushion is. If the body weight is high, a low density of fillers will not give the desired effect. For heavy loads, you should choose pillows with high density, and vice versa.
Pay attention to the relief an orthopedic cushion for sitting provides. It should have a U-shaped hole that prevents the coccyx from being activated in the body`s sitting position. Lack of pressure on this part of the body improves the feeling of well-being and eliminates pain in the lower back. Therefore, memory cushions are popular not only among people with back pain but also among all office workers or truck drivers.
Does sitting on a pillow help sciatica?
Yes, the constant use of pillows against sciatica helps get rid of sciatic nerve pain. The reason for the effectiveness is the correct distribution of the load on the back of the spine.
The coccyx does not feel pressure in a sitting position if you use special pillows. Moreover, due to anatomical support, the blood constantly circulates in the buttocks and legs. If you sit on a hard chair for a long time, the back tenses, causing inflammation of the sciatic nerve. Try pillows against sciatica for several weeks to experience the result.
Even after a few hours in an uncomfortable chair, circulation is correct if you use an anatomical memory cushion. And the correct distribution of the load on the buttocks and back helps to even out posture. You may not even notice how your office chair’s working day will go. Under the buttocks, the cushion is almost invisible.
Choose Your Anatomical Cushion Against Sciatica
You should not have back pain and sciatica all the time. All pillows of this type have a foam filling with a memory effect. They correct the position of the body, removing the load from the coccyx. Choose pillows based on the recommendations and differences described above. Specialists created the shape and structure of the pillows, taking into account the body’s anatomical features. Therefore, there is no doubt in their effectiveness.
I hope you will make the right choice and purchase the pillows that will make your life easier. Do you agree that cushions with memory effect correct body position and improve posture?
Last update on 2022-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API