How Often to Replace Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is a great way to increase the comfort of an old or uncomfortable mattress. It is also an excellent way to add extra padding to a firm mattress. A good quality mattress topper can add years of life to a mattress.
However, over time, a mattress topper will become stained and will not be able to provide the same level of comfort as it did when it was new. In this case, it is time to replace the mattress topper.
- 1 How to Replace Mattress Toppers: Simple Guide
- 2 Types of Mattress Toppers
- 3 How Often to Replace the Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
- 4 Mattress Toppers: FAQ
- 5 Conclusion
How to Replace Mattress Toppers: Simple Guide
Replacing a mattress topper is easy.
The first step is to remove the old topper from the mattress, pulling it straight up and off of the mattress. To remove a mattress topper, lift up one corner of the topper and peel it away from the mattress. Continue to peel the topper away from the mattress until it is completely removed. If the topper is challenging to remove, you can use a vacuum cleaner to help loosen it.
Next, place the new topper on the mattress, centered on the mattress, and there are no wrinkles in the fabric. Some natural fabrics can be damaged during tension, so be especially careful.
Finally, secure the topper in place by tucking it underneath the bed. You can do this depending on the type of fixation. The most common ones:
- Angled straps (elastic bands). To remove or put on the mattress cover, you just need to hook the straps around the corners of the mattress. Such mounts are suitable for both low and thirty-centimeter mattresses.
- Elastic at the corners of the mattress topper threaded around the perimeter of the product. An additional bonus of such fixation will be the protection of the mattress on the sides. A qualitatively sewn-in elastic band eliminates slipping from the bed. This is especially true for children’s waterproof models — on our website, you will find such a mattress cover – reviews on the Internet indicate the popularity of this solution among mothers.
- Zippers. They have all the advantages of the second option, they fit snugly to the mattress. Products with zippers around the perimeter are not cheap and belong to the “luxury class”.
To fix a mattress topper on a bed, you can:
- Use special fasteners for bedding from a wide elastic band with plastic or metal clips at the ends. The stores sell two-pointed and three-pointed versions. They are attached to opposite or adjacent sides of the mattress topper. The elastic clamps can stretch up to 30-150 centimeters.
- The second option is to sew ribbons, braid, or tight elastic bands to the corners of the sheet. With their help, pull the mattress cover and secure it from below.
- With a stretched elastic band, the easiest way is to replace it with a new one.
- The following method: attach Velcro to the edges of the mattress cover and the side of the mattress – they will serve as a reasonably strong fixative.
- You can also purchase a ready-made stretch sheet with an elastic band sewn along the edge or hem it to the mattress cover.
All the described methods have been repeatedly tested inexperience, and everyone can use them. But improvised homemade tools are not always convenient and often not worth the time and effort.
Types of Mattress Toppers
There are several types of mattress toppers available, including:
- Memory foam — is a mattress topper that contours the body and provides support. It is made from viscoelastic foam, a type of sensitiv to temperature and pressure.
- Down — is made from the soft, fluffy feathers of ducks or geese. It is a lightweight and breathable option ideal for those allergic to dust mites.
- Feathers — are similar to down, but they are made from the feathers of chickens or other birds. They are less expensive than down, but they are not as light or breathable.
- Latex — are made from natural or synthetic latex. They are bouncy and supportive, and they are a good option for those who are allergic to dust mites.
- Polyester — is made from synthetic fibers. They are less expensive than other toppers, but they are not as durable.
The most popular materials for covers are cotton jersey or jacquard, microfiber, bamboo:
- The microfiber cover is the most durable, can withstand machine washing at a temperature of 60, is resistant to snags.
- A cotton jersey or jacquard cover is hardy but prone to shrinkage after washing, so the water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees.
- The bamboo cover is even more durable but whimsical: wash only in cool water without bleach, do not tumble dry, and iron.
Washing the mattress cover is necessary every three to six months, and a little more often, the product is vacuumed or knocked out by hand.
How Often to Replace the Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
Memory foam mattresses and toppers should be replaced every five to seven years because the foam breaks down over time and may not be as effective in providing support and comfort. But if you see that the mattress pad looks worn out, you can change it earlier.
If you notice that your memory foam mattress topper does not provide the same comfort and support that it once did, it may be time to replace it. Additionally, if you wake up with aches and pains or your mattress topper has developed an odor, it is likely time for a new one.
Mattress Toppers: FAQ
If you need to replace a mattress topper, other questions may arise during the selection process.
Where to find a new mattress topper?
If you require a new mattress topper, there are several places where you can purchase one. But it’s cheaper and safer to buy on Amazon — an online retailer which carries a wide selection of mattress toppers.
How to choose a new one?
When selecting a new mattress topper, there are a few things that you need to consider.
What type of topper do you want?
There are a variety of materials available, such as memory foam, down feathers, or synthetic fibers. Thicker toppers will provide more comfort and support than thinner ones.
You need to decide what size you need. Most mattresses come in standard sizes, but some may be smaller or larger. Ensure the topper is the correct size for your mattress. To determine the size of your mattress, you need to measure the width, length, and height of the mattress. Once you have measurements, you can use them to find a compatible mattress topper.
How do you know when you need a new mattress topper?
If you feel uncomfortable sleeping or see that the mattress cover’s fabric has worn off in places, it’s time to change it. Also, there is an additional layer of sealant in some mattress covers, which becomes thinner over time. You will feel it to the touch.
What can I do to prevent the mattress pad from slipping?
In this case, you can solve the problem with a thin mattress made of natural materials. The width of the mattress pad should be no more than 5 centimeters. This product should be heavy so that there is no sliding of the product on the synthetic material of the mattress during sleep. Experts recommend choosing luxury products.
Is it worth getting a mattress topper?
A mattress topper can prolong the life of your mattress and make it more comfortable. It is crucial to choose a topper that is the right size and thickness for your needs. The mattress cover also acts as a cover for the mattress, protecting it from stains. The corrective mattress pad allows you to change the surface of the mattress to your needs, making it softer or harder.
Your ideal place will not be complete without a quality mattress topper. A mattress topper is a great way to add extra cushioning and comfort to your mattress. If you choose the right one and change it in time, you will sleep peacefully and comfortably.
There is no single rule that prescribes changing the mattress pad at a particular time. Therefore, take care of it and constantly evaluate its condition to notice wear, stains, or scuffs in time. So you can react in time, update the mattress cover or buy a new one.