If you’re looking for an easy way to store your mattress cover, then this article is for you! Here, we’ll provide a simple guide on how to fold mattress cover for storage. We’ll look at the best way to do it, and provide some tips on how to ensure it is stored away correctly. By following these steps, you can ensure that your mattress cover is safely stored away with no hassle.
Preparing Your Mattress Cover for Folding
Remove any bedding, such as sheets, blankets, and pillows, which may be attached to the mattress cover.
Locate any zippers, snaps, buttons, or ties that may be used to fasten the mattress cover.
Unzip or unfasten any zippers, snaps, buttons, or ties.
Pull the mattress cover off the mattress by working from one corner.
Lay the mattress cover flat on a clean surface.
Smooth out any wrinkles or creases in the cover.
Fold the mattress cover in half lengthwise and smooth it out.
Fold the mattress cover in half again and smooth it out.
Fold the mattress cover in half once more, creating a folded rectangle.
Now you have your mattress cover prepared for folding and ready for storage. If you need further guidance on how to fold a mattress cover, please refer to our full guide on “How to Easily Fold Your Mattress Cover for Storage”.
Cleaning the Mattress Cover
Before folding the mattress cover, it is important to make sure it is clean. The best way to do this is to remove the cover and machine wash it with cold water and a mild detergent. Hang it to dry or tumble dry on low. If the cover is not machine washable, use a cloth dampened with water and mild detergent to spot clean. For tough spots and stains, use a brush to scrub. Once the cover is clean and dry, it is ready to be folded.
Preparing the Bed Frame
Before folding your mattress cover for storage, you must prepare the bed frame. Remove the mattress and box spring from the frame and assemble the frame according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure all nuts, bolts, and screws are tightened securely. If the frame is already assembled, check for loose or missing parts. Once the frame is ready, carefully place back the mattress and box spring on the frame. Ensure that they fit properly and are securely attached.
Step-by-Step Folding Instructions
- Step 1: Place the mattress cover on a flat, clean surface. Smooth it out so that all the wrinkles and creases are eliminated.
- Step 2: Gently fold the mattress cover in half lengthwise.
- Step 3: Fold the mattress cover in half again, making sure that the edges line up.
- Step 4: Fold the edges of the mattress cover inward, making sure that the edges are aligned.
- Step 5: Fold the mattress cover in half one more time, ensuring that the edges are tucked in and straight.
- Step 6: Secure the folds with tape or elastic bands, if desired.
Step 1: Place Your Mattress Cover on the Floor
- Flat surface: The best surface to place your mattress cover is a flat one, such as the floor. This will allow you to easily fold the cover without it bunching up.
- Firm grip: To ensure your mattress cover does not slide around, you can use a towel to keep it in place and give it a firm grip to the floor.
- Protection: Place a sheet or a cloth on the floor before laying down the mattress cover. This will protect your mattress cover from dust, dirt, and water.
- Lightweight: Mattress covers are usually lightweight and easy to move around. This makes it easy to place on the floor with minimal effort.
Step 2: Create a Fold Along the Center
Lay the mattress cover flat on the floor with the outside facing up. Take one of the short edges and fold it over towards the center of the cover, creating a vertical line. Make sure the edges are aligned. Once you have a crease, fold the other short edge over in the same way to meet the first fold in the center. Make sure the edges are aligned and that the cover is now folded in half.
Step 3: Tuck the Sides In
Pull the edges of the cover up to the top part of the folded mattress. Make sure that all of the edges are tucked in and the corners are smooth. You can use your hands to adjust the folds, as well as to ensure that the sides and corners are tucked in. You may need to adjust the corners and sides multiple times to get it just right. Once you are satisfied, you are done with the folding process.
Step 4: Roll the Mattress Cover
- Grab the corners of the mattress cover and lift it up so that it forms a pocket. This pocket should contain the mattress and the folded bed skirt.
- Gently roll the mattress cover from one end to the other. Make sure that you roll it as tightly as possible.
- Secure the rolled mattress cover with a rubber band or a piece of twine. This will ensure that it does not unravel when stored.
When properly rolled, the mattress cover can be tucked away neatly and stored with ease. It is important to ensure that the mattress cover is tightly rolled, so that the mattress inside does not shift or become damaged during storage. It is also important to secure the rolled mattress cover with a rubber band or twine, as this will help to keep it in place. By following these simple steps, you can easily fold and store your mattress cover for future use.
Benefits of Folding Your Mattress Cover
1. Save Space: Folding your mattress cover reduces the amount of space it takes up, making storage easier and freeing up valuable storage space.
2. Easy Storage: Folding the mattress cover correctly allows for easy storage without taking up too much space or creating clutter.
3. Protection: Folding your mattress cover correctly ensures that it is properly protected from dirt, dust and other debris that can accumulate over time.
4. Durability: Folding your mattress cover correctly helps to extend its life and keep it in tip-top condition.
5. Hygienic: Folding your mattress cover correctly helps to reduce the amount of bacteria and dust mites that can accumulate on the fabric, making for a healthier sleeping environment.
Tips to Make Folding Easier
- Lay the mattress cover flat on the floor and smooth it out. This will make it easier to fold up and make sure all the edges are even.
- Fold the mattress cover in half lengthwise. This will make it easier to manage when you’re folding it up.
- Fold the mattress cover in thirds lengthwise. This will make sure that the mattress cover is compact and easy to store.
- Fold the mattress cover in half widthwise. This will create a nice, even fold that will be easy to store.
- Fold the mattress cover in thirds widthwise. This will make sure that the mattress cover is compact and easy to store.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Folding a mattress cover may seem like a daunting task, but it can be done with ease. However, several common mistakes are often made that can make the folding process difficult. Here are some of the most common mistakes to avoid when folding a mattress cover:
- Not folding from the corners: When folding a mattress cover, it is important to start from the corners and work your way in. Starting from the middle or the sides can cause the cover to bunch up and be difficult to fold.
- Using the wrong type of folding: There are two different types of folding techniques: accordion and flat folded. Accordion folding is best used for large, bulky covers, while flat folding is best for thinner ones. Using the wrong type of folding can result in creases and wrinkles.
- Not smoothing out the cover: It is important to smooth out the cover before folding it. This will help prevent creases and wrinkles from forming. It is also important to make sure that all edges are aligned before folding.
- Not folding in the same direction: When folding a mattress cover, it is important to fold in the same direction. Folding in different directions can cause the cover to bunch up and be difficult to fold.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can easily fold your mattress cover for storage.
- Folding your mattress cover for storage is an easy and efficient way to keep your bedding safe from dust, dirt, and moisture when not in use.
- It’s important to thoroughly clean and dry the mattress cover before folding it for storage to prevent mold and mildew from forming.
- To fold a mattress cover, start by centering it over a flat surface and lay it out straight. Then, fold the two sides of the mattress cover in towards the middle.
- Next, fold the bottom up and the top down. Finally, roll the mattress cover up tightly, starting from the top.
- With these simple steps, you can easily and quickly fold your mattress cover for storage.
- How to Fold a Mattress Cover, by YouTube
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Folding a Mattress Cover, by The Spruce
- How to Fold a Mattress Cover for Storage, by Wiki How
How to Easily Fold Your Mattress Cover for Storage
- Knowing where to start – The best way to fold a mattress cover is to start from the center. Lay it out flat and find the middle of the mattress cover, then start folding from there.
- Fold it in thirds – Take the mattress cover and fold it in thirds. This will make it easier to put away and store.
- Roll the mattress cover – Once you fold the mattress cover in thirds, roll it up tightly. This will make it easier to store and will keep it from wrinkling while in storage.
- Tie the mattress cover – Once you have rolled up the mattress cover, tie it up with string or a ribbon. This will keep it from unraveling while in storage.
- Store the mattress cover – Store the mattress cover in a cool, dry place. This will help keep it from becoming moldy or mildewy.
By following these steps, you can easily fold your mattress cover for storage. Folding the mattress cover in thirds and rolling it up tightly will make it easier to store and will help prevent wrinkles. Tying the mattress cover with string or a ribbon will keep it from unraveling while in storage. Finally, storing the mattress cover in a cool, dry place will help keep it from becoming moldy or mildewy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Type of Mattress Cover Should I Use for Storage?
For storage, you should use a mattress cover made from a breathable material, such as cotton or polyester. Breathable materials allow air to circulate and prevent moisture from building up. Look for covers with zippers or Velcro closures to ensure a secure fit. Avoid plastic covers, as they can trap moisture and can cause mold or mildew to form.
How do I ensure the cover stays securely folded?
- Secure the edges: To prevent the cover from unfolding, secure the edges with a rubber band, string or tape.
- Straighten the corners: Make sure that the corners of the cover are straight and aligned to prevent them from sticking out.
- Tuck it in: Tuck in any loose fabric to keep the cover in place while it’s folded.
- Put it away: Place the folded cover in a plastic bag or box and store it in a cool, dry place.
Can I store my mattress cover even if it’s not completely dry?
It is not recommended to store a mattress cover that is not completely dry as it can lead to mold or mildew growth and damage to the fabric. If the cover is damp, it should be laid flat in a well-ventilated area until it is completely dry before folding and storing away.
Is there a way to fold my mattress cover without having to take it off the mattress?
Yes, there is! Here is how you can easily fold your mattress cover for storage without taking it off the mattress:
- Lay your mattress flat on the bed.
- Position the mattress cover so that the longer side is near the edge of the bed.
- Pull the lower edge of the mattress cover up towards the head of the bed so that it is at a 45 degree angle.
- Fold the mattress cover in half so that the two edges meet.
- Roll the mattress cover up tightly, starting from the head of the bed and moving towards the foot of the bed.
- Secure the roll with a piece of string or an elastic band.
- Your mattress cover is now ready for storage!
By following these steps, you can easily fold your mattress cover without taking it off the mattress. This is a great way to keep your mattress cover in good condition and make it easier to store away when not in use.
How can I make sure my mattress cover is not damaged during storage?
- Wash the mattress cover regularly – Washing the mattress cover regularly will help to keep it clean and free of dust and dirt, which can cause damage over time if left unchecked.
- Store the cover in a dry, cool place – Make sure the place where the mattress cover is stored is not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures, as this can cause the fabric to fade or become brittle.
- Protect from moisture – Make sure the mattress cover is not exposed to moisture, as this can cause it to become musty and mouldy.
- Keep it away from sharp objects – Store the mattress cover away from sharp objects, such as furniture and boxes, as these can cause tears and snags in the fabric.
- Fluff and shake the cover – Before storing the mattress cover, make sure to shake it out and fluff it up to help keep it in good condition.
Folding a mattress cover for storage is a simple process that requires very little effort. It is important to take your time and make sure that you are folding the cover correctly so that it fits properly when it comes time to store it. With the right technique and a few basic supplies, folding and storing your mattress cover is a breeze.