If you have been wondering how to get dog pee smell out of mattress, you have come to the right place. This article will provide you with the steps to get rid of the smell of dog pee from your mattress once and for all. From removing the stain to cleaning the mattress, this article will guide you on the best ways to get rid of the smell of dog pee from your mattress.
Causes of Dog Urine Smell on a Mattress
- Urine soaking: Unnoticed accidents, especially when your dog is still in the house training phase, can result in the urine seeping deep into the mattress foam, causing a strong smell.
- Bacteria growth: Urine is composed of uric acid crystals and bacteria. When left on a mattress, the bacteria can thrive and cause a bad odor.
- Mold: If your mattress is exposed to moisture, it can start to grow mold, which can cause an unpleasant smell.
- Older mattresses: Mattresses that are older may be more prone to developing a urine smell, as the fabric has had more time to absorb it.
The smell of dog urine can be difficult to get rid of, especially if it has been left on a mattress for an extended period of time. If your mattress has been exposed to any of the causes mentioned above, it’s important to take steps to remove the smell as quickly as possible. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to get rid of the smell and keep your mattress fresh.
How to Identify Dog Urine Smell on a Mattress
- Smell: Dog urine has a strong, pungent smell that is easily identifiable.
- Discoloration: Urine is generally yellow in color and will leave a yellow stain on the mattress.
- Wetness: Urine is a liquid and will leave a wet spot on the mattress.
In order to identify if your mattress has been soiled with dog urine, you will need to look for the following three signs: smell, discoloration and wetness. Dog urine has a strong, pungent smell that is easily identifiable, and urine is generally yellow in color and will leave a yellow stain on the mattress. Lastly, urine is a liquid and will leave a wet spot on the mattress.
Home Remedies for Removing Dog Urine Smell from a Mattress
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer, meaning it can help absorb and neutralize odors. To use baking soda to remove the dog urine smell from a mattress, sprinkle baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for a few hours. Vacuum it off and repeat if necessary.
Vinegar can be used to remove odors from a mattress. To use vinegar, mix one part vinegar with one part water and spray it directly on the affected area. Let the vinegar solution sit for an hour before vacuuming it off.
Hydrogen peroxide can also be used to remove odors from a mattress. Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with one part water, and spray it directly on the affected area. Let the hydrogen peroxide solution sit for an hour before vacuuming it off.
Lemon juice is a natural deodorizer and can be used to remove odors from a mattress. To use lemon juice, mix one part lemon juice with one part water and spray it directly on the affected area. Let the lemon juice sit for an hour before vacuuming it off.
Ammonia is an effective odor remover and can be used to remove odors from a mattress. To use ammonia, mix one part ammonia with one part water and spray it directly on the affected area. Let the ammonia solution sit for an hour before vacuuming it off.
Commercial Cleaners for Removing Dog Urine Smell from a Mattress
Odor neutralizers are typically used as the first step in removing the smell of pet urine from a mattress. These products work to neutralize the ammonia in the urine, thereby reducing the smell. They are usually based on a combination of enzymes and bacteria, which break down the urine and neutralize the odor.
Enzyme cleaners are specifically designed to remove pet urine odors from a mattress. These products contain enzymes that break down the proteins in the urine and neutralize the odor. They are usually applied directly to the mattress, and left to sit for a few minutes.
Disinfectants are another option for removing pet urine odors from a mattress. These products contain a variety of active ingredients, such as chlorine, phenolics, and quaternary ammonium compounds, which kill any bacteria and neutralize the smell.
Deodorizers are the final step in removing pet urine odors from a mattress. These products contain fragrances and other ingredients that help to mask the smell. They are usually applied directly to the mattress and left to sit for a few minutes.
How to Clean a Memory Foam Mattress from Dog Urine Smell
- Mix a solution of mild laundry detergent and warm water. Make sure the detergent is free from bleach and fabric softener. For a small mattress, use one cup of detergent to four cups of water.
- Dampen a cloth with the solution. Avoid getting the mattress too wet. Use a clean cloth for each cleaning pass.
- Gently scrub the mattress. Start from the edges and scrub inwards towards the center. Avoid scrubbing too hard as this can damage the mattress.
- Rinse the mattress. Rinse the mattress with a damp cloth and warm water to remove any detergent residue.
- Let the mattress dry thoroughly. Place a fan near the mattress to help it dry faster. It’s best to let the mattress dry for at least 24 hours before use.
Steps to Prevent Dog Urine Smell from Reoccurring on a Mattress
1. Wash the Mattress – Deep clean the mattress with a pet enzymatic cleaner. This type of cleaner will help break down the proteins in the pet urine and reduce odors.
2. Use an Odor-Neutralizing Spray – After washing your mattress, use a product such as Febreze to neutralize the urine odor.
3. Vacuum the Mattress – Vacuum the mattress thoroughly to remove any residue or lingering odors.
4. Place a Mattress Cover – Place a waterproof mattress cover over the mattress to protect it from future accidents.
5. Clean Urine Accidents Immediately – Clean any urine accidents as soon as they happen to prevent the urine odor from seeping into the mattress.
6. Train Your Dog – Train your dog to use the bathroom outside or in designated areas on mats. This will help prevent future accidents on your mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of cleaning products should I use to get rid of dog pee smell from my mattress?
Enzymatic Cleaners: Enzymatic cleaners are specially formulated to break down the proteins left behind by dog urine, eliminating the odor and stain. Be sure to read the labels carefully, as some enzymatic cleaners may be too harsh for some fabrics.
Baking Soda: Baking soda is a great odor absorbent and can be used to neutralize pet odor. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda onto the mattress and let it sit for at least an hour to absorb the odor. Then vacuum it up.
Vinegar: Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and can help to neutralize the smell of dog urine. Mix equal parts of vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle and spray the solution onto the mattress. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before blotting it up.
Odor Neutralizers: Odor neutralizers are specially formulated to neutralize pet odors. These products typically contain natural ingredients like baking soda and vinegar, and they can be effective at eliminating pet odors.
Commercial Cleaners: You can also use commercial cleaners specifically designed for pet odors. Be sure to read the label carefully and follow the directions.
How Often Should I Clean My Mattress to Prevent Pet Odor From Returning?
- Vacuum regularly – Vacuuming your mattress regularly will help to remove pet hair, dust, and other debris that can cause odors. It is recommended to vacuum every week or two.
- Clean up messes quickly – If your pet has an accident on the mattress, it is important to clean it up quickly to prevent the smell from setting in. Use a pet-safe cleaner to remove any urine or feces and then use a deodorizer to neutralize any remaining odor.
- Spot clean – Spot cleaning the mattress can help to prevent odors from returning. Use a cleaning solution and a soft cloth to spot clean any areas that may have been soiled by your pet. Rinse the area well and dry it thoroughly.
- Deodorize – Deodorizing your mattress can help to keep pet odors at bay. There are a variety of pet-safe deodorizers that can be used to remove any lingering odors. Spray the deodorizer on the mattress and allow it to sit for several minutes before vacuuming it off.
- Air it out – Allow your mattress to air out regularly by leaving the windows open or using a fan to circulate the air. This will help to keep the mattress fresh and free from pet odors.
Is it Possible to Completely Remove the Smell of Pet Urine from a Mattress?
Yes, it is possible to completely remove the smell of pet urine from a mattress. Here are the steps to do it:
- Vacuum the mattress. Using a vacuum cleaner, remove all debris, pet hair, and other particles that may have accumulated on the mattress.
- Clean the mattress. Create a cleaning solution of one part white vinegar and one part water. Using a clean cloth, gently scrub the affected areas with the cleaning solution.
- Dry the mattress. Allow the mattress to air dry naturally in a well-ventilated area. This may take several hours.
- Treat the mattress. After the mattress is dry, sprinkle baking soda over the affected areas. Allow the baking soda to sit for several hours before vacuuming it off.
Following these steps should successfully remove the smell of pet urine from your mattress. Additionally, if the smell persists, consider using a professional odor removal service.
Can I use a steam cleaner to get rid of pet odors from my mattress?
Yes, a steam cleaner can help to remove pet odors from a mattress. Here are some steps to take:
- Vacuum the mattress thoroughly to remove any pet hair and dirt.
- Pre-treat any stains with an enzyme-based cleaner.
- Use a steam cleaner to deep clean the mattress. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the mattress is dry, use an odor-eliminating spray or sprinkle baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for several hours.
- Vacuum the mattress again to remove the baking soda.
Steam cleaning is an effective way to remove pet odors from a mattress, but it is important to make sure the mattress is completely dry before replacing the bedding. Additionally, it is important to use a pet-safe cleaner when pre-treating stains.
Is there anything else I can do to prevent pet odors from returning to my mattress?
To further help prevent pet odors from returning to your mattress, you can use a mattress encasement to create a waterproof barrier that will protect against future accidents. Additionally, you can use pet-friendly cleaning products to regularly clean your mattress, vacuum it to remove any dirt and debris, and use an odor neutralizing spray to keep odors from returning.
Regularly cleaning and deodorizing your mattress is a simple and effective way to get rid of dog pee smell. Use a natural enzymatic cleaner to break down the urine and permanently remove the smell. Additionally, use baking soda and essential oils to absorb odors and leave your mattress with a pleasant scent. With these steps, you can keep your mattress smelling fresh and free of pet odors.