Urine stains can bring a lot of inconveniences if they are removed at the wrong time or incorrectly. And one of those problems is the smell. But even such a characteristic sharp aroma can be neutralized if everything is done quickly and correctly.
Urine Smell Removal From Mattress: Guide
To get rid of the smell of urine, you first need to remove it from the mattress and wash the stain thoroughly. If you’re dealing with a fresh urine stain, begin by blotting up as much liquid as possible with a clean, dry towel.
No one likes the smell of urine, but unfortunately, accidents happen. If you have a mattress that smells like urine, you can do a few things to remove the odour.
- Identify the source of the smell. If the odour is coming from your mattress, you need to clean the mattress as soon as possible. If the smell comes from your sheets or other bedding, wash them in hot water with a strong detergent.
- Once you have identified the source of the smell, clean the area with a cleaner that is specifically designed for removing urine stains. You can find these cleaners at most pet stores.
- If the stain is still visible after cleaning the area, try baking soda and vinegar. Mix equal parts of baking soda and vinegar. Once the mixture is mixed together, apply it to the stain and let it sit for several minutes. After the combination has had time to sit, blot the area with a cloth.
Repeat the process until the stain is no longer visible. Once the stain is gone, you will want to make sure that you vacuum the area to remove any residue left behind.
What other detergents to use to get rid of the smell of urine?
We’ve already mentioned baking soda and vinegar, but those aren’t the only cleaners. Others struggle with the smell of animal and human urine:
- A solution of hydrogen peroxide or potassium permanganate helps a lot. It is necessary to pre-treat the area with a vinegar solution (for one glass of water — 4 tablespoons of vinegar). After that, sprinkle the area with soda; after a few minutes, wipe it with a sponge dipped in a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Tea brewing will help remove the smell of urine from a dark surface.
- Another effective remedy is iodine. In one glass of water, you need to dissolve a few drops of iodine, moisten a rag and wipe the stain.
All these methods help to remove the smell of animal urine effectively. To eliminate the smell of human urine, you can use a bleach solution — a few drops of bleach are dissolved in 1 glass of water and applied to a dirty surface. After a while, rinse with clean water.
How to Prevent Future Stains & Odors?
Once you’ve removed the stain and odour, you’ll want to take steps to prevent your puppy from having accidents on your bed in the future. The best way to do this is to crate train your puppy. This will give your puppy a safe, designated space to relieve himself and teach him that he should only relieve himself in that space.
If you’re not able to crate train your puppy, you’ll need to be extra diligent about supervising him in your bedroom. If you see him start to sniff around or circle, quickly pick him up and take him outside. With a little patience and training, you should be able to get your puppy to stop urinating on your bed.
The best way to prevent future urine stains from a cat is to have the cat use the litter box before getting into bed. The cat may pee in bed due to stress. Having dealt with the causes of tension in the animal, the problem will be solved by itself.
As for human urine, you may want to consider using a bed pad or mattress protector. These products will absorb urine and prevent it from seeping into your mattress.
Do I need additional equipment to remove the smell of urine from the mattress pad?
No, you do not need any special equipment to remove the smell of urine from the mattress pad. You can use a clean cloth and warm water to remove the stain.
How to get the urine smell out of bedding?
There are a few things you can do to try and remove the urine smell from your bedding. You can try using a cleaner specifically designed for removing pet stains or using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar.
Is it Bad to Sleep on a Urine-Soaked Mattress?
Yes, it is terrible to sleep on a urine-soaked mattress. Urine is a breeding ground for bacteria and can cause several health problems.
We tried to gather only verified ways and tips on how to remove urine odour from the mattress and topper. If you want to clarify some points, our consultants will be happy to help you.