If you’re wondering how to get rid of the urine smell out of your mattress with borax, then you’re in luck! This quick and easy method will help you get rid of the urine smell from your mattress with minimal effort. Using borax is an effective and natural way to eliminate odors, and it doesn’t require any harsh chemicals. With just a few simple steps, you can easily get rid of the urine smell and have your mattress smelling fresh again.
What is Borax?
Borax is a naturally-occurring mineral salt, made up of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. It is a white, powdery substance that has been used for centuries for cleaning, disinfecting, and deodorizing. It is also a popular ingredient in many homemade cleaning products.
Borax is often used to eliminate odors and get rid of urine smell out of mattresses. It has an alkaline pH, which helps to neutralize the acidity of the urine, and its antifungal and antibacterial properties help to eliminate the bacteria that can cause the urine smell.
Borax also helps to absorb moisture, so it helps to keep the mattress dry and prevent future odors.
In addition to its cleaning and deodorizing properties, Borax is non-toxic, biodegradable, and safe for use around children and pets. It is an ideal solution for how to use Borax on mattress to get rid of urine smell.
Benefits of Using Borax on Mattresses
- Fast Acting: Borax is an effective odor absorbent and can help eliminate odors from mattresses quickly.
- Cost-Effective: Borax is inexpensive compared to other methods of removing urine out of mattresses.
- Non-Toxic: Borax is a natural product and does not contain any harmful chemicals or toxins.
- Safe for Sensitive Skin: Borax does not cause any skin irritation so it is safe to use on mattresses that are used by people with sensitive skin.
- Effective: Borax is an effective odor absorbent and can help eliminate urine odors from mattresses quickly and efficiently.
Preparation for Cleaning Urine Smell Out of Mattress With Borax
- Gather the Supplies: Borax, baking soda, laundry detergent, white vinegar, and an enzyme cleaner.
- Remove the Bedding: Take off the mattress cover and any other bedding covering the mattress.
- Vacuum the Mattress: Vacuum the mattress to remove any dirt, dust, and debris.
- Mix the Borax Solution: Mix 1 cup of Borax with 1 cup of laundry detergent and 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a bucket.
- Apply the Borax Solution to the Mattress: Use a clean rag to apply the Borax solution to the mattress, working in sections.
- Let the Borax Solution Sit: Let the Borax solution sit on the mattress for at least 30 minutes.
- Vacuum the Mattress Again: Vacuum the mattress again to remove the Borax solution.
- Apply the Baking Soda: Sprinkle baking soda over the entire mattress and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Vacuum the Mattress Again: Vacuum the mattress again to remove the baking soda.
- Apply an Enzyme Cleaner: Use an enzyme cleaner to further remove any remaining urine smell.
Steps to Clean Urine Smell Out of Mattress With Borax
Step 1: Vacuum the Mattress
Vacuum the mattress thoroughly to remove any dirt and dust particles. Pay special attention to the area where the urine stain is located.
Step 2: Apply Borax
Sprinkle Borax liberally over the affected area. Let the Borax sit on the mattress for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Allow to Sit
After 30 minutes, vacuum the mattress again to remove any remaining Borax.
Step 4: Vacuum the Mattress Again
Vacuum the mattress again to remove any remaining Borax. Repeat this process until the urine smell has been eliminated.
Tips and Warnings
- Test the Borax solution on a small inconspicuous area of the mattress before applying it to the entire surface.
- Wear gloves and a face mask when working with Borax.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse the mattress with water and then dry it with a fan or a hairdryer.
- Avoid sitting or lying directly on the mattress while it is still wet.
- Do not use Borax on a memory foam mattress.
Disadvantages of Using Borax on Mattresses
Mild Skin Irritation: Borax can cause mild skin irritation upon contact. Therefore, it is important to wear protective clothing and gloves when using Borax on a mattress.
Staining: Borax can cause staining on the mattress if not used properly. Ensure to follow the instructions correctly and use a damp cloth or a vacuum cleaner to remove the Borax from the mattress.
Residue: Borax may leave behind a residue on the mattress if not used in the right amount. This can be difficult to remove and may cause a musty odor.
Difficult to Access Areas: Borax may be difficult to reach certain areas of the mattress. This can be particularly challenging if the mattress has deep crevices.
Alternatives to Using Borax on Mattresses
Vinegar and Baking Soda: Mix one cup of vinegar with one cup of warm water and spray onto the affected area. Let the solution sit for several hours and then sprinkle the area with baking soda. Vacuum the entire mattress to remove the solution and baking soda.
Hydrogen Peroxide: Mix three parts hydrogen peroxide with one part water and spray onto the affected area. Allow the solution to sit for several hours and then blot dry with a clean cloth.
Ammonia and Water: Mix one cup of ammonia with one cup of warm water and spray onto the affected area. Allow the solution to sit for several hours and then blot dry with a clean cloth.
Enzyme Cleaners: Enzyme cleaners are specifically designed to break down urine proteins and remove odors. Simply spray the product onto the affected area and let it sit for several hours before blotting dry with a clean cloth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Borax Safe to Use on a Mattress?
Borax is a natural mineral that has been used for centuries as a cleaning agent. It is a safe and effective way to remove urine odors from mattresses and is completely non-toxic. Borax can be sprinkled directly onto the mattress and left to sit overnight. Vacuuming the mattress the next day will remove the residue and the urine odor.
Does the borax solution need to be washed off the mattress after application?
No, the borax solution does not need to be washed off the mattress after application. Borax is a natural disinfectant and deodorizer that can be used to remove odors from mattresses and other fabric surfaces. Once the borax solution has been applied, it will work to eliminate the smell without requiring any additional washing or scrubbing.
How long does it take for the borax solution to remove the urine smell from the mattress?
Borax solution is a great method for getting rid of urine smell out of mattresses. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days for the borax solution to completely eliminate the urine smell. The time frame will vary depending on the severity of the smell and the amount of borax used.
- Time Required: A few hours to several days
- Difficulty Level: Easy
To get rid of the urine smell, mix one part borax with two parts warm water and apply it to the affected area. Allow the solution to sit for several hours, or overnight if necessary, before blotting it up with a clean cloth or paper towels. The borax will help to absorb the urine smell and remove any lingering odors. Depending on the severity of the urine smell, it may take multiple applications of the borax solution to completely remove the smell.
For the best results, it is important to thoroughly clean the mattress first before applying the borax solution. Vacuum the mattress, then use a cleaning solution to remove any stains or residue. Once the mattress is completely dry, the borax solution can be applied.
By following these steps, the borax solution should be able to remove the urine smell from the mattress in a few hours to several days, depending on the severity of the smell.
Is this method suitable for use on any type of mattress?
Yes, this method is suitable for use on any type of mattress, including memory foam, spring, and latex mattresses. Borax is a natural and safe cleaning agent that is safe for use on any mattress material.
How often should borax be used to remove urine smell from the mattress?
Borax should be used as needed to remove urine smell from the mattress. Depending on the severity of the odor, it can be applied once or multiple times. After each application, allow the mattress to air-dry for at least 8 hours.
Borax is an effective and safe way to remove the unpleasant smell of urine from mattresses. The simple process of sprinkling the powder, vacuuming it up, and then repeating the process several times can help remove the odor and keep it from returning. It is also important to regularly clean the mattress and use mattress protectors to help reduce the risk of urine stains and odors.