There are a few reasons why it is important to buy the best electric blanket for the elderly. One reason is that an electric blanket can help to keep elderly people warm. This is especially important for elderly people who are more susceptible to cold weather.
An electric blanket can also help to improve circulation. This is because the heat from the blanket can help to increase blood flow to the limbs. Finally, an electric blanket can help to provide a sense of security and comfort for elderly people. This can be important for elderly people who may feel isolated or lonely.
This guide will help you choose the best electric blanket for your senior on the market.
Top 6 Best Electric Blankets for Elderly – Reviewed
- Westinghouse Electric Blanket Heated Throw – Top Pick
- Comfort Spaces CS58-0138 Luxury Microplush 1 Piece Electric Wrap Blanket – Runner-Up
- Perfect Fit Ultra Soft Plush Electric Heated Warming Blanket – Premium Pick
- Sherpa Plush Dual Control Electric Blanket Queen Size
- Westinghouse Electric Blanket Sherpa Heated Throw
- Eopecles Heated Blanket Electric Blanket Full Size
Choosing the best electric blanket for an elderly person can be difficult because there are so many different types and brands on the market. It is important to choose an electric blanket that is the right size, weight, and material for the elderly person. Finally, electric blankets can be expensive. It is important to compare prices and choose an electric blanket based on your budget.
1. Westinghouse Electric Blanket Heated Throw – Top Pick
Westinghouse Electric Blanket Heated Throw is a soft and cozy blanket that is perfect for use during work, on the couch, or sofa while watching television or reading books.
The blanket is made of a soft flannel to sherpa material that is machine washable and easy to care for. The blanket features 6 heating levels for individual needs and an auto-off feature that ensures your safety during normal use.
- ETL and FCC certified for safety;
- Heats up quickly and evenly;
- 6 Heat settings for personalized comfort;
- Automatic shut-off after 4 hours for safety;
- Machine Washable & Easy Care;
- 5-Year warranty for quality issues.
- Not suitable for use if wet.
2. Comfort Spaces CS58-0138 Luxury Microplush 1 Piece Electric Wrap Blanket – Runner-Up
Comfort Spaces CS58-0138 Luxury Microplush 1 Piece Electric Wrap Blanket is an ultra-soft, cozy throw that is perfect for snuggling up on the couch or in your office.
The electric blanket features 3 heat settings, a pre-heating feature, and a 2-hour auto-shutoff function to save on your electric bill, and is machine washable for easy care. The 5-year limited warranty promises years of savings and service.
- Is engineered for the lowest electromagnetic radiation possible, which is great for people who are concerned about EMF exposure;
- Has a pre-heating feature that allows it to be snuggly warm before you get into bed;
- The 2 hours auto-shutoff function can save you the electric bill if you accidentally forget to turn it off;
- Berber Sherpa fabric on the back side adds extra warmth and softness;
- The fabric can be washed in the machine, just disconnect the controller;
- Comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- The size of the blanket may not be suitable for everyone;
- The price of the blanket may be too expensive for some people.
3. Perfect Fit Ultra Soft Plush Electric Heated Warming Blanket – Premium Pick
Perfect Fit Ultra Soft Plush Electric Heated Warming Blanket is made from incredibly soft micro-plush fabric with a decorative Triple-Rib design.
The blanket is divided into two separate zones and includes dual-lighted controls for individual adjustment and comfort. It also automatically shuts off after 10 hours for convenience, safety, and savings.
Plus, it’s machine washable & dryable without any pilling, shrinking, or stretching.
- Divided into two separate zones;
- Dual lighted controls for individual adjustment;
- Automatically shuts off after 10 hours;
- Machine washable and dryable.
- Can be uncomfortable for all body types/sizes;
- Made from a polyester blend.
4. Sherpa Plush Dual Control Electric Blanket Queen Size
Sherpa Plush Dual Control Electric Blanket is a cozy and comfortable way to stay warm all winter long. This electric blanket features two sides – a thick, fuzzy sherpa finish and a more silky mink weave – for ultimate comfort. The blanket also has an adjustable auto shutoff feature in 1-hour increments, so you can always be sure that you’re not overheating or falling asleep with the blanket still on.
With 20 heat settings, this heated blanket can help to melt pain away and promote blood flow to sore muscles and joints. The blanket is also super simple to wash – just disconnect the controller and power cables and throw the entire blanket into the wash.
Sherpa Plush Dual Control Electric Blanket comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can be sure that it will stay soft and cozy for years to come.
- Double-sided softness – you can choose between thick, fluffy sherpa and more silky mink;
- Adjustable automatic shut-off in 1-hour increments – never worry about overheating or falling asleep with the heating on again;
- 20 Heating Modes Relieve Pain – constant heat dilates blood vessels and promotes blood flow;
- Very easy washing – just disconnect the controller and power cords and toss the entire blanket in the washer;
- 5-Year warranty – no fading, pilling, or shrinkage guaranteed.
- Can be uncomfortable for all body types/sizes;
- Made from polyester.
5. Westinghouse Electric Blanket Sherpa Heated Throw
Westinghouse Electric Blanket Sherpa Heated Throw is a cozy and comfortable way to keep warm. Made with double layers of 240 GSM Sherpa, it is soft and comfortable to the touch.
The six heating levels allow you to find the perfect amount of heat for your needs, and the heating design with memory automatically returns to the last used comfort level setting within 15 minutes after restarting.
The machine-washable design makes it easy to care for, and the 5-year limited warranty ensures your satisfaction.
- ETL and FCC Certified for safety;
- 4 Hours Auto-off, overheat protection;
- 6 Heating Levels for Individual Needs;
- Reverts automatically to the last comfort level setting used;
- Double layers 240 GSM Sherpa Grey;
- Machine Washable & Easy Care;
- 5-Year Limited Warranty.
- Not suitable for use if wet;
- Improper use can cause burns.
6. Eopecles Heated Blanket Electric Blanket Full Size
Eopecles heated blanket is an electric blanket that is full size and perfect for use on a cold night. It is made of 100% polyester multi-layer flannel for a soft and comfortable feeling. This heated blanket also features safety certification by ETL and an overheating protection system.
You can choose from 3 custom temperature levels and the fast heating function ensures even heat distribution. Eopecles heated blanket is also easy to maintain with a machine washable design.
- The quality and safety of the electric blanket have been certified by the ETL;
- Has an 8-hour automatic shutdown design;
- Is easy to maintain and can be machine-washed or tumble-dried regularly;
- Is suitable for both men and women;
- Is lightweight and the power cord is easy to place;
- Can be used as a regular double bed blanket.
- Has only three custom temperature levels;
- Made of 100% polyester.
Buyer’s Guide for Best Electric Blanket for Elderly
The following is a buyer’s guide to the best electric blankets for seniors. This guide will help you choose the electric blanket that best meets the needs of an elderly person.
When choosing an electric blanket for an elderly person, it is important to consider the following factors.
The size of the blanket. The electric blanket should be large enough to cover the person’s entire body.
The fabric of the blanket. The fabric of the electric blanket should be breathable and soft.
The heat settings of the blanket. The heat settings of the electric blanket should be adjustable to provide the person with the desired level of warmth.
The safety features of the blanket. The electric blanket should have safety features such as an automatic shut-off feature to prevent overheating.
The warranty of the blanket. The electric blanket should have a warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship.
What is the best electric blanket for seniors?
There is no one answer to this question because different people have different priorities. However, some factors to consider when choosing an electric blanket for the elderly include the following:
- The size of the electric blanket. An electric blanket that is too small or too big can be uncomfortable to use.
- The warmth setting. Some electric blankets have multiple warmth settings, while others only have one. If the electric blanket only has one setting, make sure that it is not too hot for the person using it.
- The material. Some electric blankets are made from different materials, such as fleece or cotton. If the person using the electric blanket has sensitive skin, they may prefer a softer material.
Additionally, it is important to make sure that the blanket is certified by a third-party organization like Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Intertek (ETL).
Features to consider when buying the best electric blanket for the elderly
When buying an electric blanket for the elderly, it is important to consider the following features:
- Size: Make sure to choose an electric blanket that is the appropriate size for the person you are buying it for. If the electric blanket is too small, it will not provide adequate coverage and may not be comfortable. If the electric blanket is too large, it may be difficult to maneuver and could pose a safety hazard.
- Wattage: The wattage of the electric blanket will determine how quickly it heats up. A higher wattage electric blanket will heat up faster but may be more expensive to operate. A lower wattage electric blanket will take longer to heat up but will cost less to operate.
- Temperature Settings: Most electric blankets have multiple temperature settings so that you can choose the level of warmth that is comfortable for you. It is important to choose an electric blanket with a setting that will not get too hot, as this could pose a safety hazard.
- Safety Features: Look for an electric blanket with safety features such as an automatic shut-off. This will prevent the electric blanket from overheating and becoming a fire hazard.
- Warranty: Choose an electric blanket that comes with a warranty in case it malfunctions. This will ensure that you can get a replacement or a refund if necessary.
How to Use an Electric Blanket Safely?
Electric blankets can be dangerous for older people with cognitive problems such as dementia or Alzheimer’s, or for those who suffer from incontinence. Electric blankets may also be unsafe for people with Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, or paralysis. Older people can get burned by an electric blanket, so it is important to discard those that are ten years or older.
If you are using an electric blanket, there are a few safety precautions you should take.
First, make sure the blanket is not wet. Wet blankets can cause electrical shocks.
Second, never use an electric blanket while you are sleeping. Electric blankets can cause fires if they are left on for too long.
Finally, make sure the cord of the electric blanket is not frayed or damaged in any way. If the cord is damaged, it can cause an electrical shock.
Is an electric blanket bad for elderly people?
There is no definite answer since the risks associated with electric blankets depend on the individual’s health and other factors. They can be useful for the elderly who have difficulty regulating body temperature if there are no contraindications to use.
Therefore, it is important to consult a physician before using an electric blanket, especially if the person is elderly.
What is the safest electric blanket for the elderly?
The safest electric blanket for the elderly is the one that has an automatic shut-off feature. This feature will prevent the blanket from overheating and posing a fire hazard.
Safe for the elderly to have an electric blanket?
Electric blankets can be dangerous for older people with cognitive problems or incontinence. They are also unsafe for people with Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, or any type of paralysis.
Can I use electric blankets for incontinence?
No, electric blankets are not recommended for people with incontinence. Although they can be helpful in keeping people warm, they are not designed to be wet, and can actually be dangerous for those who are prone to wetting themselves.
Electric blankets can cause burns or fires if they come into contact with moisture, and can also increase the risk of electrocution.
If you are incontinent, it is best to use other methods of staying warm, such as layers of clothing or blankets.
This type of blanket is a great option for seniors who have difficulty regulating their body temperature. Electric blankets come in a variety of sizes to fit any bed. Electric blankets provide even, consistent heat to the body and can be controlled with a simple switch.
Best electric blanket for elderly – Comparison table
|Electric Blankets for Elderly||Material||Item Weight||Cleaning Method|
|Westinghouse Electric Blanket Heated Throw||Sherpa to Flannel||3.67 pounds||Machine washable|
|Comfort Spaces CS58-0138 Luxury Microplush 1 Piece Electric Wrap Blanket||Fabric||3.1 pounds||Machine washable|
|Perfect Fit Ultra Soft Plush Electric Heated Warming Blanket||Polyester Blend||6 pounds||Machine washable|
|Sherpa Plush Dual Control Electric Blanket Queen Size||Polyester||7.39 pounds||Machine washable|
|Westinghouse Electric Blanket Sherpa Heated Throw||Sherpa||4.69 pounds||Machine washable|
|Eopecles Heated Blanket Electric Blanket Full Size||Polyester||5.68 pounds||Machine washable|
If you have questions or would like to share your experience with the electric blanket for the elderly, leave them below in the comments.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API