Best Pillow for Toddler: Healthy Sleep with a Perfect Cushion
There is a time when a child outgrows the crib, and you have to arrange the real bed for “big kids”. I am sure that you will have enough headaches taking care of the bedding, mattress, and other essential items. Sometimes, it is easy to forget about such a vital item as a pillow. However, this component is crucial when it comes to the healthy sleep of your child.
There are numerous recommendations from American Pediatrics Academy, including avoiding extra soft bedding, stuffed animals, anything that may cause allergies. Experts agree on one thing when the child is relocating into his own grown-up bed, you have to find the pillow that fits him. I have gathered here my own favorite list of products.
As a professional therapist whose main interest is healthy sleep, I’ve heard numerous complaints about insomnia among toddlers. Let’s check the pillows first, and later I will try to answer the most widespread questions. Don’t forget to read both pros and cons. I am going to tell you more about the materials, features, developers, and prices. Besides, I am going to share with you all the cons that I’ve found in the item.
- 1 Top 7 Best Pillows for Toddler
- 1.1 Little Sleepy Head Toddler Soft Hypoallergenic Pillow – Comfortable Toddlers First Pillow
- 1.2 Baby Toddler Pillow for Sleeping with Pillowcase – Hypoallergenic and Breathable Toddler Pillow
- 1.3 KeaBabies Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase – Washable Organic Toddler Pillow With Ergonomic Design
- 1.4 My Little North Star Toddler Pillow Organic Cotton – Toddler Bed Pillow Recommended by Chiropractors
- 1.5 LIANXIN Baby Pillow Memory Foam – Protective and Comfortable Flat Toddler Pillow
- 1.6 Little One’s Pillow Toddler Pillow – Hand Crafted Baby’s First Pillow from the USA
- 1.7 wavveUziz Toddler Pillow for Kids – Memory Foam Toddler Pillow for Sleeping
- 2 Detailed Guide on Pillows for Toddlers
- 3 When to replace a toddler pillow?
- 4 Which Pillow to Pick?
Top 7 Best Pillows for Toddler
Before you understand what type of pillow for toddler you need to buy, check your main options. Here I’ve gathered top 7 pillows that suit specific demands. Get familiar with their features before making a decision.
Little Sleepy Head Toddler Soft Hypoallergenic Pillow – Comfortable Toddlers First Pillow
Toddler Soft Hypoallergenic Pillow by Little Sleepy Head is a perfect traveling buddy, lightweight, washable, and great for taking small nap wherever the child wants. It is made of 100 percent cotton, hypoallergenic and soft. The product is in perfect size of 13 x 18 inches for a toddler to carry it around. It suits small beds as well.
Features of Toddler Soft Hypoallergenic Pillow:
- Dimensions: 13 inches W x 18 inches L x 4 inches H. Make sure that toddler pillow size is suitable for your child;
- The cover is made of organic cotton. The 200 thread count material;
- The stuffing is hypoallergenic polyester cluster fiber;
- Washable. You may use the washing machine and dry it. The fabric will handle this;
- It weighs only 6.1 ounces. Your child will easily pick it. It is weightless.
Toddler Soft Hypoallergenic Pillow was created by Little Sleepy Head, the USA-based company that produces various products for healthy children’s sleep, including pillows, mattresses, and sleep sprays. The pillow can be washed in a washing machine. The filling is polyester cluster fiber.
It does not contain any chemicals and does not cause allergies. The material is soft and breathable. You can pack the pillow inside your child’s backpack, so it can be used during the nap in a pre-school. The product comes without the pillowcase, so if you need one, you will have to buy it. However, this pillow can be easily washable and does not require additional coverage.
- 100 percent cotton;
- Hypoallergenic filling;
- Affordable price;
- The US made.
- The product is sold without a pillow case.
Baby Toddler Pillow for Sleeping with Pillowcase – Hypoallergenic and Breathable Toddler Pillow
Baby Toddler Pillow for Sleeping with Pillowcase by Biloban is a great option for toddlers of 2 years and older. The product is certified by the Oeko-TEX standard. It may be the first “grown-up” pillow in your toddler’s life. The product is made with the consideration of the age and weak spine muscles.
The head will not be raised up higher than it needs to be. The pillow is rather flat, while fluffy and soft to touch. It has a different thickness level, in front of it and behind. The pillow helps to support the neck, head, and spine.
- The pillow can be used by babies from 2 years old and later;
- Dimensions: 12 x 18 inches. It is 2.5 inches thick on the front and 1.9 inches thick behind. After the head presses the pillow its thickness is 1 inch;
- The cover of the pillow is made of 100 percent cotton, and filling is odorless and hypoallergenic poly cluster fiber;
- Well-stitched so it can be washed in the washing machine;
- The package includes one pillowcase from cotton of a high-quality.
The pillow was created by Biloban, the well-known producers of children’s bedding. Biloban offers a lifetime guarantee. They offer either replacement of the pillow or money. The pillow easily fits cribs of any size. The coverage of the pillow is totally safe for the child and does not cause any allergies. It has a shell of cotton, which is soft and natural. The filling is poly cluster fiber. You can wash the pillow in the washing machine without any worries about the quality. It is stitched neatly and is durable.
- Suits in small-sized cribs;
- Affordable price;
- The package includes a pillowcase.
- For children from 2 years old and later.
KeaBabies Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase – Washable Organic Toddler Pillow With Ergonomic Design
Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase by KeaBabies keeps its fluffiness even after several years of washing. You have to wash it on cold temperatures in the washing machine and pick the low dry mode. The stuffing inside does not shrink. It is made of fiber balls of high quality.
The pillow shell is 100 percent organic cotton. The package also includes a pillowcase with funny pictures on it. Pillowcase is also made of cotton, hypoallergenic, and safe for youngsters.
- Dimensions: 18 inches x 13 inches x 3.9 inches;
- Provides support for the neck, but do not raise the head too high;
- The material is 100% cotton. The filling is ball fiber of high quality;
- Weighs 10.2 ounces.
The pillow was designed and produced by KeaBabies, which produces items for children and their moms from the pregnancy period. The company specializes in organic products that do not cause allergies. You can check out the extra pillowcases if you need them.
However, since the pillow is washable, you can use it without cover. The cotton is a breathable cover and the most appropriate for newborns and toddlers. However, if you ask me when to give toddler a pillow, I recommend you to use this pillow only when the child is able to sleep on its own bed and raise the head.
This pillow is ideal for trips. You may take it on the trip with you. This way the child will feel more secure.
- Includes pillowcase in the pack;
- Washable in a washing machine;
- High-quality materials;
- Affordable price.
- Can’t be washed in hot water.
My Little North Star Toddler Pillow Organic Cotton – Toddler Bed Pillow Recommended by Chiropractors
The Toddler Pillow Organic Cotton by My Little North Star is made in the USA, a totally organic pillow recommended by toddlers from 2 to 5 years old. Depending on the size of your child’s head and specifics of his growth, you can use it at the age you consider the most appropriate.
This best pillow for toddler supports the neck without forcing the head to lift up. The product is certified, hypoallergenic, does not contain chemicals and can be put inside the crib of different sizes. The pillow is recommended by chiropractors. The product is washable. All you need to do is to pick one of the gentle cycles on the machine that washes in the cold water. Pick the low mode on a dryer.
- Dimensions: 18 inches x 13 inches x 3.5 inches;
- Weighs 7 ounces;
- The cover is 100 percent cotton, and filling is a high-quality breathable soft poly cluster fiber;
- Can be washed in the washing machine;
The pillow was created by My Little North Star, producers of organic lotions, serums, pillows, and pillowcases for children. They say that this pillow is resistant to dust mite, mildew, and mold. The pillow is GOTS certified, which proves that it does not contain chemicals.
The cover is 100 percent cotton, certified by experts. The filling of the pillow is poly cluster fiber that does not cause any allergies, handle the pressure of the child’s head without losing the shape. Developers say that the cotton was grown in the USA as well, and it does not contain any pesticides or GMO. The pillow is designed the way it can hold the spine of a toddler in a proper position during sleep.
- Organic materials;
- Made in the USA;
- Has pillowcase in the pack;
- Affordable price.
- It is not recommended for children younger than 2 years.
LIANXIN Baby Pillow Memory Foam – Protective and Comfortable Flat Toddler Pillow
The Baby Pillow Memory Foam by Lianxin is another option for parents who worry about possible allergies and the support of their children’s spine. This pillow protects your child from the syndrome of flathead. Besides, it is made of smart memory foam, which remembers the most comfortable position of the head.
Small children with a thin neck and soft head can sleep without hurting their backs. The pillow was recommended by chiropractors for children who are even younger than 2 years. You can use it for children of 0 to 2 years as well. You can use the pillow as the mattress for young babies.
Features of Baby Pillow Memory Foam:
- Dimensions: 17.71 inches L x 10.43 inches W x 1.38 inches H;
- Can be used for children younger than 2 years, who can’t hold their heads on their own;
- Filled with memory foam;
- The pillowcase can be washed in the washing machine.
Baby Pillow Memory Foam was created by Lianxin, the company that produces various useful items for the home. They offer a 100 percent guarantee or money back. Among multiple small pillows for toddlers, this one is a real bestseller. It is pretty affordable and durable.
Warning! You can’t possibly wash memory foam stuffing inside the pillow. All you can do is to wash the pillowcase. The pillowcase can be easily taken off and washed in the washing machine. You can buy extra pillowcases, so while the one is drying, you may change it to another.
- The memory foam inside;
- Affordable price;
- Can be used as a mattress;
- Suits for children younger than 2 years old;
- The memory foam can’t be washed.
Little One’s Pillow Toddler Pillow – Hand Crafted Baby’s First Pillow from the USA
This Toddler Pillow by Little One’s Pillow is an organic product with a 100 percent cotton shell. There are no chemicals that may be harmful to your child. Toddler Pillow filling is free of chemicals as well. It is made of polyester fiber that is hypoallergenic and can be washed in a washing machine without getting lumpy.
The cover of the pillow is made from 200 thread count cotton. You don’t have to worry about the durability of the shell or filling. According to pediatricians, the pillow meets all the requirements for young children.
Toddler Pillow Features:
- The pillow is chemical-free;
- It can be washed in the machine with all the filling. All you need to do is opt for delicate wash and cold water;
- Dimensions: 13 inches x 18 inches x 3 inches;
- It weighs only 8 ounces;
- The cover of the pillow is organic cotton, and the filling is cluster fiber filling, which is soft, durable, easy to wash, odorless, and hypoallergenic.
The Toddler Pillow was created by Little One’s Pillow, an American based company with a rich history of manufacturing products for children. They opened their business in 1958, and since that time, this family-oriented company continues to be the leader on the market.
They assure that they’ve put multiple efforts into the pillow to make it perfect for toddlers. The company guarantees to send a new pillow in case the first one does not meet your expectations. The pillow is considered to be durable and simply holds its shape for up to 5 years on average. The cotton of the pillow coverage is grown and gathered in the USA. It is completely organic.
- Durable model;
- Organic materials;
- The USA-made product;
- Easy to wash.
- Slightly more expensive compared to other pillows.
wavveUziz Toddler Pillow for Kids – Memory Foam Toddler Pillow for Sleeping
Toddler Pillow for Kids by wavveUziz is a unique offer on the market. This pillow is the leader among toddler sized pillows, and it is filled with high-quality memory foam.
It has the open-air cell technology inside. Basically, there is breathable foam inside that does not let your toddler heat the head while sleeping. The pillow is not only filled with a cool gel, it is soft to touch and pleasant for the skin. There is a fabric that absorbs sweat. The pillow is also recommended by professional chiropractors as it lessens the tension on the spine, while the child is sleeping and spreads it equally.
- Dimensions: 18 inches x 10 inches x 2.5 inches;
- The pillow is made for children from 1 year old to 5 years;
- The memory foam remembers the pressure of a child’s head;
- It consumes heat while keeping the normal temperature of toddler’s head during the night;
- The cover is washable;
- It weighs 2.3 pounds.
The pillow was made by wavveUziz, the top company on the market. It offers numerous products for your home. The pillow is durable and washable. However, you can’t wash the filling.
All you can do is wash the cover of the pillow. The cover is made of high-quality fabric. There are no toxic materials in the pillow. If you notice the smell from the foam when you unpack it at first, don’t worry. All you need to do is to put the pillow in some ventilated place.
- Smart memory foam;
- Cooling down effect;
- Washable cover;
- Affordable price.
- After you open the pack, the odor may be weird at first.
Detailed Guide on Pillows for Toddlers
Let’s make it clear! I do not recommend giving your baby the adult pillow you use yourself. Here, we are talking about specific pillows, originally made for small babies who can already handle their heads but have incredibly delicate skin, muscles, nerves. You may have noticed that there are few options on the list that are considered to babies younger than 2-year-olds. Yet, the average toddler’s age suitable for these pillows are 2 years and older.
Are the toddler pillows safe?
Pillows that I recommended on the list are:
- With 100 percent cotton cover. And many developers even claim that they use only USA grown organic cotton without GMO and chemicals;
- Do not raise the child’s head too high.
Depending on your needs, you can choose a pillow with specific features. However, they all can be considered as safe, if you pick the proper size of the pillow, if your toddler meets the age requirement, and if you use the pillow according to the instructions. If you are worried about the right position of the head, you can try smart memory foam pillows.
When to replace a toddler pillow?
While the mattress in a child’s bed is a less problematic product and does not have to be replaced for many years, the pillow is a matter of concern for many parents. The toddler’s body is growing, and the head can simply outgrow the pillow. You can’t start using a pillow too early, mainly because newborns do not hold their heads and can suffocate easily. So when do we have to buy a pillow for a baby?
Usually, it happens when the toddler is ready for the new bed. It happens somewhere near 18 months and 2 and a half years old. You may start with pillows for small babies with recommendations for 1 year old. Check out dimensions of the pillow, as it is extremely important. The head of your baby must suit the pillow.
Normally, these pillows for toddlers are recommended until the child reaches 5-6 years old. The head is growing, and you need a bigger size of the pillow. If your child grows up quicker, you may change it for a larger pillow even earlier. If you notice a weird odor, the filling of the pillow clumped together, the loose of its original shape, you have to replace the product as well.
What if your child refuses a pillow?
The main condition of a healthy sleep without any problems is the will of a child. Don’t force your baby to sleep on the pillow if he/she does not want to. You may try to lure your baby into sleeping on the pillow by picking the attractive design of the cover, showing your personal example, and putting his/her favorite toys on the pillow.
Don’t rush by offering the pillow. When the time comes, the child will want to try it. You can come back to the questions a few days or weeks later. If your baby sleeps peacefully without the pillow, you can wait as long as it takes.
Are there dangers of pillows for toddlers?
There are numerous dangers that can be easily avoided if you know about them. I specifically picked only 7 pillows from multiple options to make sure that all the dangers are excluded. However, learn about the next factors to make sure that the pillow you are about to buy is just perfect for you:
- Too soft pillows. You have to find out whether the stuffing is appropriate for the pillow. It can’t be feathers. If you are not sure which one to take, find out the width of the pillow when it is pressed;
- Too big pillows. This is why I made sure you get to know the dimensions of the pillows in my review. The oversized pillow is dangerous for children as small ones. Large pillows may cause suffocation;
- Bad quality of the fabric. Before you buy the pillow, check whether the cover is made of organic and natural fabric. The pillowcase you use may not be suitable for your child. Besides, you have to make sure that there are no threads sticking out of the fabric;
- Fillers may be unsafe. You have to find hypoallergenic, well-shaped fillers of the pillow. The most common filling is polyester and memory foam. Check out the quality before you buy the pillow. The polyester filling can be washed in cold water mode.
Which Pillow to Pick?
This question is rather personal, and the decision is yours, based on your child’s needs. I can only help you with suggestions, but you have to pick it by yourself. It is very important to get acquainted with all the available options before you buy the pillow.
I advise you to consider all possibilities beforehand. Don’t wait until the day the pillow becomes necessary, order it a few months or weeks ahead. Pay attention to all the features, pros, and cons that were mentioned here. If you have one of the pillows from the list, please share your own review in the comments below. What do you like about it the most? Are there any cons that I did not mention?
Last update on 2022-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API