Best Air Mattresses for Everyday Use
There are times when you can’t sleep on your bed. For example, you may be staying at your friends’ house, enjoying camping, or suffering from back pain, requiring maximum sleeping comfort. In such cases, you may need a comfortable air bed mattress to relax your body and sleep well.
If you are wondering how long such an item can serve you, I can assure you that there are many durable air mattresses on the market. As a therapist, I can highly recommend air bed mattresses to anyone who needs a temporary, yet comfortable solution or struggles from frequent back pains.
My name is Catherine Rodgers, and I am a certified therapist. The areas of my studies include sleep medicine. I’ve chosen this field not by chance. For years, I’ve suffered from insomnia and have tried various medications, sleeping techniques, and products for better sleep.
I have acknowledged that the quality of sleep depends on numerous external and internal factors. By writing this blog, I want to help people to improve their sleep and learn more about helpful products and techniques available. I have, therefore, put together the top ten air mattresses that allow healthy and comfortable sleeping you deserve.
- 1 Top 10 Air Mattresses That You Should Try
- 1.1 1. Coleman Air Bed Mattress – An Air Mattress Bed With Frame
- 1.2 2. Sound Asleep Dream Series Air Mattresses – The Best Air Mattresses 2018
- 1.3 3. Lazery Sleep – Queen-Size Air Bed Mattress
- 1.4 4. Insta Bed Raised Air Mattress – Reliable Insta Bed Air Mattresses
- 1.5 5. King Koil Twin Air Mattress Bed – The Best Air Mattress 2017
- 1.6 6. Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad – Tear-Resistant Camping Air Mattress
- 1.7 7. Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Air – Best Air Mattresses 2019
- 1.8 8. Kids Inflatable Travel Bed – Comfortable and Safe Air Bed Mattress
- 1.9 9. Olar Hike Mattress – A Comfortable Twin Air Mattress
- 1.10 10. Western Owl Outfitters – Best Inflating Sleeping Pad
- 2 Popular Questions about Air Mattresses
- 2.1 Are air mattresses good for your physical sleep needs?
- 2.2 How do you inflate an air mattress?
- 2.3 Why does my air mattress have an air leakage?
- 2.4 How to patch an air mattress?
- 2.5 Do air mattress float?
- 2.6 Is there a weight limit on air mattresses?
- 2.7 How to maintain an air mattress?
- 2.8 Can bed bugs live in an air mattress?
- 2.9 How does a truck bed air mattress work?
- 3 Final Word
Top 10 Air Mattresses That You Should Try
Here is a detailed review of the best air mattresses that I have picked to help you to decide on the one that suits you. I have highlighted the pros and cons of each model so that you can make the right decision.
1. Coleman Air Bed Mattress – An Air Mattress Bed With Frame
This brand is highly reputable. It is an air mattress bed with a frame and, therefore, it doesn’t need any frame installation. The item has an antimicrobial-treated surface, so you won’t have to worry about odor or dangerous fungus. This makes it the best air mattress for camping.
The airtight system of the Coleman air mattress enables it to hold air for a good amount of time. This feature allows this mattress to be used as hospital bed air mattresses since it remains stable and comfortable.
The Coleman air mattresses can withstand up to 600 pounds and still maintain its firmness. It takes about three to four minutes to inflate this item. Thus, it will not take much time to turn it into a queen-size air mattress. Besides, this model comes with simple instructions on how to pump and maintain it.
- Has comfortable height
- Holds the air for an extended period
- Small and portable
- Provides maximum comfort
- May not adjust to your sleep position
2. Sound Asleep Dream Series Air Mattresses – The Best Air Mattresses 2018
Sound Asleep air mattress is designed to offer great support to a sleeper throughout the night. The model has a stable grip on the floor that prevents the mattress from sliding. It has a built-in air mattress pump that makes it easy to inflate. However, the built-in pump may appear as a disadvantage if you are planning to use the item for camping or other outdoor activities. This disqualifies it from being the best camping air mattress.
A unique feature of these air mattresses is that you can choose the firmness level, and it can be achieved within a few minutes. Moreover, it takes around four minutes only to transform these models into queen-size air mattresses.
Sound Asleep mattress is 19 inches thick, and thus, it is easy to get on top of it. Air leakages are rare, and the item can hold up to 500 pounds. Additionally, it can maintain firmness and shape for a longer time compared to similar options on the market, therefore, being efficient for people with health issues.
If you are looking for the best camping air mattresses, then this one should be on your list. By the way, it was named the best air mattress 2018.
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Can be inflated to a standard queen size
- Keeps its shape for a long time
- A quiet setting up process
- Can be too firm
- The pump has a short code
3. Lazery Sleep – Queen-Size Air Bed Mattress
It is a queen-size air mattress, measuring 78 x 39 x 19 inches, and the model comes with a rubber bottom and has a built-in pump. Its features are quite similar to the Sound Asleep mattress.
Lazery Sleep mattress is fitted with a dual-chamber and has a perfect thickness for comfortable sleep. Moreover, the item has a comfort coil to offer extra support.
This mattress has been suggested by my close friend Sean (you may know him from his blog), and I asked what he thinks about it:
“I’ve been using this mattress for more than a year to sleep when I’m at my parents’ apartment. The rubber bottom increases the grip on the floor and prevents the mattress from sliding. It retains air well, thus, allowing you to sleep comfortably since you will not have to wake up frequently to pump it up. This is one of the air mattresses that can even exceed your expectations. It is the best queen air mattress if you have been in search of a large-size option.”
- The coil ensures comfort and support all night
- Its top is waterproof
- The exterior can’t be punctured easily
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- No air leakages
- A bit expensive
4. Insta Bed Raised Air Mattress – Reliable Insta Bed Air Mattresses
With most full-size air mattresses, it is easy to get on top, but not that easy to stay there due to their quick deflating nature. Getting on top of this mattress is easy for both adults and children, and this model won’t lose its firmness quickly.
The main advantage of this insta-bed raised air mattress with never flat pump is that you can easily recognize if it has been fully inflated. When ready for use, it transforms into a king size air mattress. This is because of the comfort levels that have been set by the manufacturer. You can decide on the desired level of comfort among the three options that include plush, medium, and firm.
If you can’t sleep on a very firm mattress due to back pains or spine issues, then this insta bed raised air mattress is the best solution. Furthermore, the item has circular coils: 21 in the twin-size bed and 35 in the queen size air mattresses to ensure excellent support and firm grip.
- PVC material makes it water- and puncture-proof
- No air leakages
- Comes with a big bag for easy carrying around
- The pump inflates it within 4 minutes and turns off automatically when the mattress is fully inflated.
- The circular coil maintains a uniform balance across the entire mattress
- Different temperatures may affect the firmness
- Pressure can’t be customized
5. King Koil Twin Air Mattress Bed – The Best Air Mattress 2017
This King Koil twin mattress air bed is designed to feel like a real bed. The item can be used indoors and outdoors. It is comfortable since it remains firm and enables you to sleep in any position.
This air mattress bed has a built-in air pillow that is positioned on the pump side of the bed to provide maximum comfort. This pillow is quite large, so this product can be considered as one of the best twin air mattresses.
The comfortability the product offers allows comfortable sleep even if you suffer from bedsores. These twin air mattresses relieve the pressure of the hip area, shoulders, and head, thus, easing pain from these pressure points. Also, the model has a soft surface and can hold bed sheets. King Koil twin air mattress can also serve as an air mattress for a hospital bed.
- Easy to set up
- Comes with a big bag for carrying and storage
- Has a built-in pillow for a more comfortable sleep
- It is heavy
6. Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad – Tear-Resistant Camping Air Mattress
This two-inch thick sleeping pad is among the best lightweight sleeping pads. It is comfortable and ideal for all sleeping positions. Besides, this spring air mattress is lighter than most similar products.
The wired air cells prevent you from feeling cold and dew while sleeping on the ground. The item can hold different weights, but it is important to inflate the mattress fully to achieve the best sleeping comfort.
With this Sleepingo camping sleeping pad, you won’t hear a sound as you turn on the bed. This is one of the quietest options on the market that makes this air mattress especially useful for sleeping outdoors. Moreover, it takes a few minutes only to get it fully inflated.
- Easy to deflate and inflate
- Provided with a patch kit
- Large size
- You may need another valve for deflation soon
7. Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Air – Best Air Mattresses 2019
Intex air mattress is an affordable air bed that can work as an everyday solution, too. Besides, its air mattress’s comfortability is excellent. It gets inflated into a regular-sized bed with 22 inches of height.
Inflation is fast because of the built-in electric pump. All you have to do is to plug in the cord and turn a knob. Then, press the inflating button and wait until the pump does its work so that you can enjoy your queen air mattress. Moreover, the item can also be inflated manually.
Intex queen air mattresses have mainly been made for using indoors but can also be inflated outdoors, too. Moreover, maintenance is easy because the mattress is waterproof. You should, however, avoid placing heavy objects on the product not to damage it. Thus, the item will serve you for a more extended period.
When it comes to queen air mattresses, this Intex Comfort Plush mattress also competes well. I consider it the best air mattress 2019.
- Can be easily cleaned
- Has a soft surface
- Can be inflated with an internal electric pump
- Maybe firmer than expected
8. Kids Inflatable Travel Bed – Comfortable and Safe Air Bed Mattress
Intex kids’ travel bed is a guarantee of your children’s comfort and healthy sleep. This air mattress is extra comfortable and allows kids to sit and play on it.
The frame of this air bed provides maximum support and ensures your children do not roll off the mattress. Therefore, I consider it a great air mattress bed with a frame.
- Provides maximum support and comfort
- Has protective bumpers
- Can be used for one or two kids
- Can be too short for some kids
9. Olar Hike Mattress – A Comfortable Twin Air Mattress
This mattress measures 75 x 40 x 18 inches when inflated fully. The model has a built-in pump, but you can also use air mattresses pump to inflate it manually.
You can sleep on it without bed sheets since the top of this model is comfortable and soft. Additionally, the surface of this Olar Hike mattress is waterproof and easy to clean. Thus, it makes this item reliable and probably the best air mattress for everyday use.
- The elevated edge provides extra comfort
- Stays firm for up to 8 hours
- It does not come with a storage bag
10. Western Owl Outfitters – Best Inflating Sleeping Pad
Are you looking for a thick sleeping pad for outdoor activities such as mountain climbing? Then, I recommend going for this Western Owl Outfitters air mattress to fit all your camping needs.
This waterproof mattress can withstand rough grounds. Therefore, you can set it up anywhere you want. It offers the best comfort even if you suffer from back pains.
Moreover, this item is very thick and seam-sealed, thus, keeping airtight inside. I highly recommend this air mattress to people who are planning to go camping during the winter season. These mattresses from Western Owl can be named the best air mattresses for camping.
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Durable and comfortable
- May be too firm
Popular Questions about Air Mattresses
Here are some of the most widespread questions regarding air mattresses that can be a cause of concern. Below you can check brief answers to these questions and learn more about specifics of air mattresses
Yes. The air pressure adjusts to different parts of your body, thus, allows you to relax fully.
Usually, there is no need to inflate an air mattress manually. Most of the models come with built-in pumps. Therefore, you need to plug the pump to the valve and wait for your air mattress to get inflated.
A little air leakage is normal. You can experience a temporary air leakage with a new mattress. However, if the mattress doesn’t keep its firmness, inspect the item for any holes or torn parts. Sometimes, a loose cap on the valve can cause leakage. So, tighten it to ensure a firm bed.
The best way to patch an air mattress is to inflate it and press gently. At the same time, heed the sound to identify the location of the hole. Then, cover it with an adhesive patch.
Yes, but it depends on the weight of the mattress. It is better to check with the instructions if the manufacturer recommended putting the item on water.
A manufacturer always indicated the recommended maximum weight. Exceeding the weight can result in the air leakage.
Ensure you store your air mattress in its bag. If it is not provided with one, you can place the mattress carefully in a box. It is recommended to store such items far from water, sharp objects, and heat.
No, bugs can’t live in it. You won’t find bed bugs in your mattress, so there’s no need to worry about it.
Truck bed air mattresses are made to perfectly fit the size of a truck and allow you to sleep comfortably during outdoor activities. The pumps of such models are usually connected to the charging spots of the trucks. However, you can find an air mattress for a truck bed with a built-in rechargeable battery.
Low-quality air mattresses are very uncomfortable to sleep on. Thus, make sure to compare all the features of the mattress you intend to buy before purchasing it. You do not have to spend a fortune to get a quality mattress. It is possible to buy a quality product at an affordable cost.
There are many air mattress models on the market, and finding the most comfortable and durable mattress can be quite hard. However, after reading these detailed reviews, it can be easier to choose the right item. Go through the descriptions and pay close attention to the features of each product.
Last update on 2022-10-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API