Best Pillow for Back Pain Sufferer: Choose the Best Option
Back pain is a big problem that affects almost half of adults in the US. This condition is contributed by various factors like overweight, sedentary lifestyle, and other health conditions. Regardless of the cause, maintaining the right posture while sitting or sleeping can help to alleviate the problem.
Pillows can come in handy to help maintain the right posture and relieve your back pain. They use various approaches to correct sleeping posture, reduce pressure on your back, and relieve back pain. However, since people have different sleeping positions, there is no one fit all pillow to address the problem. You need to find the best pillow for back and neck pain based on your sleeping position to relieve your back pain.
As a certified therapist, I have studied sleep medicine, an area of research I decided to venture into after years of suffering from insomnia. While at it, I’ve been trying various medicines, including sleeping techniques and natural medicines. I have concluded that the quality of sleep is dependent on many factors, both internal and external. So, in this blog post, I will discuss one of my observations – pillows for back pain – that will help you to deal with back pain and improve your sleeping patterns.
So read on for a review of the best pillows for back pain for different sleeping positions. I will discuss the various items for pregnant women, as well as pillows that you can use in your car, recliners, or office chairs.
|1||ComfiLife Lumbar Support Pillow for Sleeping...||1,478 Reviews||$24.95||Check on Amazon|
|2||ComfiLife Bolster Pillow for Legs, Knees, Lower...||1,636 Reviews||$17.95||Check on Amazon|
|3||Contour Legacy Legacy Leg & Knee Foam Support...||7,350 Reviews||$19.99||Check on Amazon|
|4||ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow for Sciatica...||15,895 Reviews||$24.95||Check on Amazon|
|5||ProsourceFit Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set for...||19,654 Reviews||$21.99||Check on Amazon|
|6||Leg Elevation Pillow - with Memory Foam Top,...||5,246 Reviews||$39.97||Check on Amazon|
|7||Idle Hippo Lumbar Pillow for Sleeping, Adjustable...||311 Reviews||$29.99||Check on Amazon|
|8||Cooling Gel Lumbar Pillow for Sleeping Memory Foam...||1,404 Reviews||$35.99 $24.97||Check on Amazon|
|9||Royal Therapy Queen Memory Foam Pillow, Neck...||3,265 Reviews||$59.99 $44.99||Check on Amazon|
|10||Milemont Memory Foam Pillow, Cervical Pillow,...||7,875 Reviews||$38.99||Check on Amazon|
Top 7 Pillows for Back Pain
There are many types of pillows out there that you can use to relieve back pain. Getting the right one that works best for your needs is the first step to successfully addressing the back pain problem. Below are some of the best pillows to consider for back pain.
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow – Best Pillow for Lower Back Pain
This top-quality pillow is a product of ComfiLife. This brand is known for manufacturing items that offer comfort, including knee pillows, seat cushions, pillow protectors, and many others.
The ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow is a well-designed pillow that you place between your knees while sleeping. This helps to correct sleeping posture and relieve pressure on your lower back to prevent sciatic pain. Its ergonomic design ensures it can fit perfectly between the knees. Therefore, the product puts your hips, legs, and spine in proper alignment for improved circulation and to relieve knee pain.
This pillow is highly durable. It is made using 100% premium high-density memory foam, which provides extra comfort for a long time without going flat. Its quality is fully guaranteed as customers are offered a 100% money-back guarantee if they are not satisfied with the product.
You don’t have to be stressed while cleaning this pillow as it features an easy-to-clean non-slip cover. The breathable zippered cover is machine washable to make your cleaning work easier.
- Ergonomic shape for extra comfort
- Highly durable; won’t get flat easily
- Comes with an easy-to-clean breathable cover
- Adaptable memory foam allows it to fit well between knees
- Can be used in different sleeping positions
- Not ideal for people who toss a lot
- SCIATICA, BACK & HIP PAIN RELIEF AT NIGHT: Ergonomically designed knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees and provides maximum support and comfort at night that helps relieve sciatica pain and pressure on the lower back. ComfiLife knee pillow is designed to help relieve back pain at night however it may not work for all conditions or completely eliminate all symptoms or pain. It may take a few days for your body to get adjusted to using a knee pillow at night and see results
- PREMIUM HIGH-DENSITY MEMORY FOAM: Made with 100% premium quality durable cut memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours, superior to other pillows it won't go flat over time
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Ergonomic contoured design keeps your legs, hip and spine in ideal alignment while sleeping and improves circulation. Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches
QUEEN ROSE Pregnancy Pillow with Bamboo – Body Pillow for Back Pain
This pregnancy pillow is a product of QUEEN ROSE. This brand sells items that help future moms to have a nice sleep.
This product is ideal for pregnant women to have the most needed rest. You don’t have to use multiple pillows to get a comfortable sleep, and QUEEN ROSE is a full body pillow that gives you everything in one place.
The pillow is highly durable and supportive thanks to its 100% premium bamboo material that provides long-lasting resilience. It’s also made from cooling content that makes this breathable pillow comfortable because you won’t sweat regardless of your sleeping position.
What you’ll love about this pillow is its flexibility. It has a movable design that allows you to turn with ease, whether you are watching television or feeding your baby. It is also detachable, so you can use it separately to provide support to your head or legs.
This pillow is perfect, even for those people who toss and turn while sleeping. It features a detachable secure belt to ensure the pillow does not move when you turn during your sleep.
Sleeping on this pillow provides full back support. Consequently, it will help in improving blood circulation, relieving back pain as well as supplying gravida and fetus blood flow.
- Can be used in many sleeping positions
- Made from durable bamboo material
- Provides full back support
- Made from cooling cotton to prevent sweating
- Ideal for those who toss and turn
- Can be short for tall people
- Detachable Full Body Pillow,This pregnancy body pillow features movable design allows you use it as a single pillow for additional head and leg support ,zipper on will become the ideal contoured body pillow while sleeping and relaxing
- Premium Material,Cover：100% bamboo; Lining: 60g Nonwoven Fabric; Stuff: 3D PP Fabric bamboo.The material is carefully picked and selected by hand,offers long-lasting resilience and durability
- Breathable Pillow,Air flow and comfortable now available with unique material won't make you sweat no matter how you sleep,good for pregnant women and anyone else
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow – A Great Example of Orthopaedic Pillows for Back Pain
EPABO is the manufacturer of this Contour Memory Foam Pillow. This brand sells various pillows, including sleeping pillows and travel versions. If you love luxury sleep, then this pillow is right for you. The pillow is made from premium fabric to provide you with the much needed therapeutic relief from neck pain.
The pillow is also created with comfort in mind. It features an ergonomic shape with contours to support and correctly align your head, neck, shoulder, and back, thus giving you an entirely new level of comfort. It is also made from high-quality breathable memory form to allow proper circulation to keep you free from sweating.
The pillow comes with a hypoallergenic rayon/polyester blend case that is soft and smooth for a good night’s sleep. Besides, the material protects the pillowcase from dust mites. The EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow is also highly durable and made from chemical-free materials.
- Has an ergonomic shape with contours for extra comfort
- Breathable form to keep you cool and dry
- Soft pillow case with dust mite protection
- Made from chemical-free materials
- Provides therapeutic relief
- May not be good for back sleepers
- UXURY SLEEPING PILLOW - Provides therapeutic relief for all sleepers and neck pain, you will wake up feeling fully recharged and ready to take the day. Its premium fabric to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- ERGONOMIC - Proven contour design perfectly supports and aligns your head, neck, shoulder and back. You will fall asleep faster and deeper. It is possible for you to experience some discomfort during the first two weeks while your body is trying to adjust to the correct position. Try it for a new level of comfort whether you are back sleeper, stomach sleeper or side sleeper.
- QUALITY MATERIAL - Breathable memory form provides better air circulation to keep you cool and dry. Our hypoallergenic rayon/polyester proprietary blend pillow case feels silky soft and smooth while provides dust mite protection.
LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support – Amazing Pillow for Lower Back Pain
LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Back Cushion is manufactured by a reliable company LoveHome. The brand is a top seller on Amazon, selling various products like lumbar pillows, beach shorts, and seat cushions, among others.
This back cushion is perfect for office chairs, car seats, and recliners. It helps to alleviate lower back pain resulting from sitting in your car or office chair for a long time. The Lumbar support cushion supports your back to ensure you get a good posture for perfect spinal alignment.
The pillow features an ergonomic design that offers sturdy support to your back. It’s made from quality foam that never flattens out. Instead, it takes the shape of your back to provide the utmost comfort.
If you are suffering from Lumbosacral lower back pain or Spondylosis, and you’re observing the best pillows for back pain, then this is the right pillow for you. In fact, chiropractors advise Spondylosis patients to use it for surgery recovery.
This pillow features two adjustable straps to keep the lumbar cushion in a perfect position on the chair and another strap to prevent it from sliding down. There’s also a breathable 3D ventilative that promotes air circulation to keep you cool and prevent sweating. The ventilative is also washable to ensure your cushion remains ever clean.
- Ergonomic design for sturdy back support
- Quality material that doesn’t flatten out
- Best for Spondylosis surgery recovery
- Breathable 3D ventilative to prevent sweating
- Features an easy-to-clean pillow casing
- Cushion is too thick
- ALLEVIATES LOWER BACK PAIN - relieve lower and mid back pain and tightness from long time sitting or driving; support your back's curve to achieve perfect spinal alignment and promote a healthy posture. Chiropractor recommended orthopedic lumbar support cushion for surgery recovery and people who suffers from Lumbosacral lower back pain and Spondylosis, etc.
- STURDY SUPPORTIVE AND EFFECTIVE- Ergonomic Streamlining molded with premium quality memory foam for optimal lumbar support and never flattens out, a proper firmness memory foam compresses to take the shape of your back and curve and provide comfort and relief numbness of your back
- UPDATE TWO ADJUSTABLE STRAPS INSTEAD OF THE ONE ON BACK keeps the back support cushion in place and prevent the lumbar pillow from sliding down, two extension straps make the backrest fits perfectly on any office chair, computer chair, armchair, sofa, couch, car seat, SUV, truck, wheelchair and recliner seat etc.
Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers – Practical Pillow for Back Pain
Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers is a high-quality pillow manufactured by 5 STARS UNITED. This brand produces and sells a variety of products, including kitchen appliances, toys, and beauty products, among others.
With this knee divider, you get to separate your knees when sleeping. This allows you to align your body perfectly and prevent exerting pressure on your spine during sleep. The result is a therapeutic effect that will make you wake up the next day feeling rejuvenated. The pillow is perfect for side sleepers and pregnant women.
Doctors recommend this pillow for restless legs syndrome, after surgery or medical treatment, and for pregnant women to relieve stress from the waist. This knee pillow is made from high-quality heavy density materials that make it durable and comfy. The product has a thermal dependence, which makes it soft when exposed to body heat for comfortable sleeping time, making it a perfect addition to bed pillows. The pillow features a hypoallergenic pillowcase that is breathable and easy to clean.
- Highly durable
- Thermal dependence for extra comfort
- Washable and easy to clean
- Breathable to prevent sweating
- Gives a therapeutic effect
- May not be ideal for people with big knees or legs
- DEEP AND HEALTHY SLEEP - This knee divider allows you to sleep comfortably all night, separates the upper knee from the lower one and creates the correct spacing between them. The therapeutic effect of the orthopedic pillow allows you to properly align your spine and reduce the pressure during sleep, which guarantees you a vigorous and painless awakening. Good alternative to back pillow for lower back pain. Especially convenient for side sleepers and pregnant women.
- HIGH QUALITY - Measuring 9,8"x 7,8"x 6,2", 100% premium quality memory foam pillow is made from high-density materials with a light lemon aroma. The thermal dependence of the knee cushion for sleeping makes it softer under the influence of heat, which will allow you to completely relax during deep sleep. Perfect addition to bed pillows for sleeping, wedge, body and half-moon pads. Comes with a hypoallergenic, washable and breathable anti-pilling case, non-temperature sensitive.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE - Eliminates restless legs syndrome, relieves stress from the waist during pregnancy, helps after surgery or medical treatment and improves blood circulation for side sleepers. Also the convenient structure of the product allows you to use it as a stand for the chest while using a laptop or book reading. Before use, it is necessary to air the pillow out for 48 hours, a sharp drop in temperature (from hot to cold) can make the pad hard. Vacuum packed.
Back Pain Relief Memory Foam – the Best Pillow for Back and Neck Pain
This Back Pain Relief Pillow is manufactured by the BeautifulLife brand. The brand is a top seller of high-quality products on Amazon.
This product is an effective orthopedic pain relief. It is made from 100% high-quality visco-elastic memory foam that offers maximum comfort and support to hips, legs, lower back, ankles, and other parts of the body. It is an ideal choice for pregnant women, and patients recovering from surgery.
The pillow is multipurpose. You can use it as a knee divider for support, as lumbar support for chairs, recliner, car seat, or as a semi roll wedge to support your ankles to help reduce varicose veins and sciatic nerve pains. It is also ideal for relieving neck pain, spine, ankle stress, back pain, and spine.
Quality is another perk of this pillow. It is a firm pillow with a dual-layer to make it long-lasting and to provide fantastic hip, knee, and back support. It also comes with an easy-to-clean breathable organic cotton casing.
- An effective orthopedic pain relief
- Made with a firm dual layer
- Features an easy-to-clean casing
- It’s a little firm for memory foam
- EFFECTIVE ORTHOPEDIC PAIN RELIEF – Recommended by Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Sports Trainers and Doctors, BeautifulLife Bed Roll Pillow uses 100% premium quality visco-elastic memory foam which is hypo-allergenic and provides excellent comfort and support to different areas of body, such as lower back, knees, hips, legs or ankles, and is best for back, side, or stomach sleepers, knee / hip replacement after surgery recovery, or during pregnancy.
- LUMBAR PILLOW, KNEE ROLL PILLOW, LEG RAISER or SPACER – Ensure spine / hip alignment and relaxation, positively improve quality of sleep and rejuvenate your body. This memory foam positioning wedge body pillow at size 20.5" x 8" x 4.5" is perfect to provide cushion and lumbar support for sleeping / sitting while relieving lower back and sciatic nerve pains, Scoliosis and Sciatica Relief.
- MULTI POTISTIONAL BODY SUPPORT – Uses this Half Moon Bolster as under knee support pillow, spacer between legs, lumbar support while sitting on reclining sofa / couch / chair, leg bolster for elevating your legs while sleeping on your back, or position under your ankles to lift your feet for better circulation while reducing varicose veins and accelerating post surgery recovery. Can also be used for car seat back lumbar support while driving
TruContour Lumbar Pillow for Sleeping – Best Pillow for Back Pain with Adjustable Feature
TruContour Lumbar Pillow for Sleeping is a product designed to support the lower back while in bed. This premium-quality lumbar pillow is manufactured by TruContour, a brand that produces exceptional quality items.
This pillow is designed with an excellent shape that fits the natural shape of the back to enhance spine posture in different sleeping positions and to prevent back muscles. The medical-grade form also provides better support and comfort.
Unlike other similar products, the Lumbar pillow features an adjustable height which users can modify by adding or reducing foam pads. This pillow comes in two sizes, the light lumbar which has two pads and the super lumbar that consists of three foam pads. It also comes with an easy-to-wash outer cover.
- Great shape that fits the natural shape of your back
- Features an adjustable shape for the utmost comfort
- Machine washable outer cover
- Comes in two sizes for more flexibility
- Too soft and not contoured
- This advanced lumbar pillow for sleeping is designed to help improve spine posture and help reduce strained back muscles and ligaments in the back, side, and stomach sleeping positions. Available in three sizes.
- The height can be adjusted by adding or subtracting foam pads. The Original and Wide Lumbar products consists of two foam pads. The Super Lumbar consists of three.
- The top foam pad has a rounded shape that fits the natural curve of the back and allows for greater comfort. Competitive products have sharp angles that can lead to discomfort.
Have Your Back Pain Questions Answered!
Below are some most discussable questions concerning these products. Read them and find out useful information
Pillows support the torso, hips, and promote proper spine alignment. This removes excess pressure and prevents overcompensation on nearby muscle groups. As a result, the spine remains in a natural position that leads to complete relaxation and relieving of back pain.
Pillows come in different sizes and shapes depending on their intended use. Some of the common types include:
- Knee Pillows
These pillows are meant to be sandwiched between the knees for side sleepers. Others are wedge-shaped to be placed below the knees.
- Lumbar Pillows
These are designed to ease lower back pain by offering support to the spine to allow it to stay in its natural position while sitting or sleeping. They are shaped to be placed along the inner curve of the spine near the lower back.
- Body Pillows
Body pillows are designed to conform to the shape of the whole body. This provides support and ensures your spine remains in the natural position to relieve back pain.
- Memory Foam Pillows
Another name for these pillows is viscoelastic foam. These pillows are built denser and with more viscosity for extra comfort. The pillows can be used to support both the head and neck.
The best pillow for the upper back is the body pillows that offer support to the spine and ensures it remains in its natural position. The snuggle form and the edge wedge can also help with upper back pain.
Choosing the right pillow can help alleviate back pain problems. When selecting a pillow for back pain, you should consider several factors like pillow shape, size, thickness, and material composition.
Choose the Right Pillow to Address Your Back Pain Problem
A good pillow is a wise investment to help alleviate your back discomfort. Hopefully, from the guide above, you’ve gotten the inspiration when selecting your ideal pillow for back pain. While there are many models available, the ones mentioned above are among the top models manufactured by the best-rated brands on the market.
From the best pillow for lower back and neck to the body pillow for back pain, there are more than enough options mentioned in this article to relieve your back pain. Whether you are back sleeper, side sleeper, or live a sedentary life where you have to spend the better part of your day in the office chair, you should be able to find the right pillow from top picks. The best thing is to know your needs before buying a particular pillow.
I hope this guide will help, but I would also like to hear a response from you. What is your preferred pillow from the list? Is there a better pillow that I have not mentioned in the review? If so, why do you think it’s a better choice than the others? Please share your views in the comment section.
I am a certified therapist. The area of my study includes sleep medicine as well. I’ve chosen this field of research not by chance. For years I’ve suffered from insomnia, and have been trying various medicines, including sleeping techniques, natural remedies, and even hypnosis. According to my observations, the quality of sleep depends on numerous external and internal factors that may seem irrelevant at first sight.
Last update on 2020-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API