Best Pillow for Neck Pain: How to Find It?
Hi everyone who wants to get rid of the neck pain. I have faced this problem many times, and then I discovered that a quality pillow could take this problem away in a few weeks. But before I found the best cushion, I have tried many uncomfortable ones. Now, I know the difference. There are so many low-quality pillows that you can easily buy the one you will throw away in a month. To avoid this, I have created the list of top rated pillows for neck pain.
The standard pillows don’t reduce the neck pain – sometimes they may even cause it. If the pillow is too soft, it can’t provide the spinal alignment. In this case, your head, neck, and shoulders suffer. Or if your pillow is too low, your spine curves and even your breathing can be hard. That’s how the neck pain starts, and if you don’t choose the orthopedic pillow, it may continue and even become stronger. Usually, if your neck hurts, your shoulders and head are also under pressure. So, if you want your health to improve, let’s choose the best pillow for neck pain.
Top 7 Best Pillows for Neck Pain
It’s not always simple to choose an orthopedic pillow. It should be supportive enough and have the top-quality foam. In another case, the cushion won’t be worth buying it. That’s why I have prepared the best pillow for neck pain reviews for you to pick a smooth and effective pillow.
EPABO Pillow 1+Firm Queen – Best Neck Support Pillow without Chemicals
When you spend every night laying on the pillow, it should be safe for your health. Some cushions may contain chemicals that cause diverse allergies. Manufacturers apply them to make the pillow softer or to increase its term of usage – which does not always work. Epabo provides only trustworthy pillows for neck problems.
The pillow quality depends first of all on the quality of its filling. This orthopedic cushion is made of the memory foam, which is the best material for the neck pain relief pillow. It repeats your head and neck shape. Also, it doesn’t fall in as other pillows do – Epabo cushion is soft, but it is firm enough to give you the needed support.
It’s no matter what position you prefer during the night because this pillow will provide you comfort in any case. However, you may feel some discomfort in the beginning. It’s a common thing to happen with orthopedic products – they are created to support you and sometimes can be tough. But after two weeks, you will find the most convenient sleep position for you.
Your neck usually hurts because the pillow is too low or too high. If you want to have a healthy sleep, you should prevent your spine from becoming distorted. The Epabo pillow has a design that keeps your back and neck straight. Even if you change the position during the night, the memory foam fabric will adapt to it in seconds.
Everyone has its own body-build, so different people may need different pillow heights. Epabo took care of this. If you feel that pillow is too firm or too high for you, there is a removable piece of foam inside. It usually applies to the back and stomach sleepers. This cushion has 20% more fabric than other models. You probably won’t need to add more filling – most people feel comfortable with that height.
Besides all the positive features, this pillow is also easy to clean. The recommendation is not to wash the memory foam part. However, if it gets too dirty, you can hand wash it. Epabo has created a convenient zipped pillowcase for simple cleaning. You just need to remove and put it into the washing machine on the tumble dry with the low settings. Moreover, the case is hypoallergenic and protects the pillow from dust mites. So you’d better wash it sometimes – the cushion will become smoother and more soft for the best sleep.
- Chemical-free fabric;
- Quality memory foam;
- You can regulate the pillow’s height;
- Easy to clean.
- If you have strong neck pain, this pillow may be too firm for you.
Sleep Artisan Luxury Side Sleeper Pillow – Best Neck Pain Relief Pillow for Side Sleepers
When you search for a good pillow for neck pain, it may be troublesome to find the cushion for side sleepers. Artisan decided to change it and created this luxury pillow. Side sleepers know how uncomfortable it is to relax on the low pillows – not only the neck but also back and shoulders can hurt all day long. This cushion accommodates any body shape.
Many people say that when you sleep on an Artisan best pillow for neck pain side sleepers, it feels like you’re laying on a cloud. The products with memory foam can be too firm. That’s why this manufacturer uses the blend of organic cotton, hemp, and poly. Together they make a pillowcase very soft and smooth.
When you’re sleeping, the last thing you should have in mind is chemicals that don’t allow you to have a rest. The pillow foam is made of premium materials. The combination of latex and microfiber poly-silk provides great softness and dust protection. They have no flame retardants that can cause unpleasant odor or allergies.
The neck pain appears when you can’t regulate the pillow height and should suffer from an exhausted sleep. The best feature in Artisan cushion is that you can add or remove the filling any time you want. It’s simple – you need to unzip the case and put or subtract the foam.
A pillow has a unique curved shape that is made specifically for the side sleepers. But it doesn’t mean that stomach and back sleepers won’t feel comfortable on it. The Artisan pillow will fit everyone. I like to sleep in various positions, and I think this pillow is perfect for such a case.
The manufacturer takes responsibility for every pillow it produces. That’s why all the stitches and threads are handmade. And all this is for your neck to feel relief. Thanks to the cushion construction, it provides the spinal alignment that allows you to wake up refreshed and without pain.
- HANDMADE IN AMERICA - Curved side sleeper pillows are made in California with natural latex, which is environmentally friendly and allows us to produce near zero waste. We pay attention to every detail through our strict quality control procedures.
- ADJUSTABLE FIRMNESS - Personalize your head positioning, spine alignment, neck, and shoulders by unzipping the cover to adjust the firmness of your pillow. Your pillow is filled with natural latex which provides superior orthopedic support.
- IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP QUALITY - Natural latex offers superior pressure relief which helps the flow of oxygen to your muscles. Your new pillow helps reduce tossing and turning for side sleepers, combination sleepers, and back sleepers.
- High soft materials;
- Has dust and allergens protection;
- You can add or remove the foam;
- Keeps your spine in the right position.
- Too expensive.
Belly Sleep Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow – Best Memory Foam Pillow for Neck Pain for Stomach Sleepers
If you choose to live without neck pain, you should have a pillow you can take for traveling. Why don’t you feel perfect even if you spend a night on a train or in a hotel with comfortless pillows? Belly Sleep offers you a good variant of such cushion. It proves that a compact pillow can also relieve the neck pain wherever you’re sleeping.
The uniqueness of this pillow is in its compactness. It has a size that can fit in any luggage. You can also put it in a carry bag that is included and transported without any additional case. It’s perfect when you like to have a rest in a park or garden. You can easily wash the carrying bag in a washing machine – that makes it durable.
A pillowcase is also machine washable. It is made of the bamboo-polyester fabric that is soft and highly supportive. My friends sometimes complain about the yellow spots and odor that appear due the long-term usage and which are not that simple to avoid. This material is waterproof and odor resistant. That means you’re protected from the breathing problems and nasty smell.
Inside the pillow is memory foam that keeps its shape through the night. However, this fabric is a little bit different from the standard memory foam. It has a cooling gel particle design. Most of the standard cushions may cause an overheat because they trap your warmth. The Belly Sleep construction allows the pillow to absorb some heat. So, you will feel cool during the night that helps you fall asleep fast and deep.
Besides, the cushion is thin and flat, which also helps you to feel the coolness. In the beginning, it was designed in this way to provide comfortable sleeping for the tummy sleepers. It’s easier to keep your spine in a straight position. The curved edges control the head and shoulders rotation – this reduces the pressure points that usually cause the neck pains. Also, your breathing will improve a lot with it. This pillow is firm enough to provide spinal alignment. Together with that, it is soft enough for you to wake up relaxed.
- SPINAL SUPPORT FOR STOMACH SLEEPERS: The Belly Sleep Bed Pillow is a flat, thin pillow that was designed and made with the needs of tummy sleepers in mind. Its curved edges reduce head and neck rotation, ensuring the uniform pressure and neutral positioning of the head, neck, and spine to improve breathing, reduce pressure points, and ensure that you wake up well rested, not sore and achy.
- MOISTURE-WICKING CASE: Most people perspire during sleep, which is why a bamboo-polyester cover is included with this pillow. It naturally wicks away moisture and is odor resistant. However, it’s important to wash these pillow covers regularly as sleeping on a clean pillow is important for your health. The good news for you is that it’s machine washable!
- SUPPORTIVE POLYURETHANE FOAM: Memory foam has become one of the leading pillow materials for its supportive and hypoallergenic qualities. This type of foam contours to your unique body shape to reduce snoring and improve comfort. Because this pillow is only 2.5” H, it evenly cradles your head and neck while you sleep, which means no more strain on your muscles due to an overly thick pillow.
- Perfect for the stomach sleepers;
- Travel size;
- Easy to transport;
- Firm but soft;
- Keeps your head and neck in the right position.
- Small size – can be uncomfortable.
Milemont Cervical Pillow For Neck Pain – Best Cervical Pillow for Neck Pain in Various Sizes
It can be difficult to find the best pillow size – it may be too large, or too short. In most cases, neck pain is caused by the comfortless pillow height. Milemont wants to solve this problem and offer three cushion sizes: standard, queen, and king.
The standard option will fit the average person that likes to sleep on the side. It is not very suitable to place your hand near the cushion with a bigger size. Queen and king models are larger, and it’s better to choose them if you’re stomach or back sleeper. When the pillow is bigger, it’s easier to find the best position to lay on your nape.
Milemont pillow combines the polyester and tensile materials that make it resilient. It repeats the shape of your head and neck. However, it doesn’t fall in – inversely, the cushion keeps its form too and reduces the pressure points. Such a design allows your neck to relax.
Pillowcase is also made of polyester. The fabric feels so soft that it will be hard for you to leave your bed in the morning. It protects the pillow from dust mites and allergens. And also, you can be calm while sleeping – the case doesn’t contain any chemicals that can cause an allergy.
The specific contour design supports your head and keeps your back upright. It also allows the pillow to return to the same shape in five seconds – perfect for the neck pains. You will fall asleep in several minutes with this cushion. However, it can take some time to get accustomed to the pillow because it’s firm enough. But after two weeks you will sleep like a baby.
Milemont cushion doesn’t need to be washed. Though, the pillowcase is what you should clean at least once a month. It is machine washable – you should set the tumble dry and low settings. You may also apply the dry clean or spot clean in case you don’t want the case to wear out quickly.
- Has three sizes to choose from;
- Easy to clean;
- Resilient and supportive;
- Soft pillowcase.
- It takes time to adapt to the pillow.
Misiki Orthopedic Pillow – Best Orthopedic Pillow for Neck with Shoulders and Arm Support
Moderate hardness for ideal neck and shoulders support – these are the keywords that describe a Misiki pillow. The manufacturer has spent a lot of time coming up with an idea of a butterfly-shaped design. Why do you need such a sophisticated construction? Well, not only your neck can suffer during sleep. Your shoulders may also hurt – and this design reduces the pain several times.
The cushion has memory foam with a temperature sensing function. That means you will feel cool during the night because the material doesn’t overheat your body. The shape of the pillow keeps your head in the right position. It allows you to breathe freely – it’s the first step to snap out of insomnia and other sleep issues.
The design with cervical contour and a central cavity provides the spinal alignment and rest for your shoulders. It reduces the pressure on your nape. That helps you to get free from snoring. When you sleep on the side, you can put your arm on the armrest that also will reduce the pressure and remove the numbness you may feel.
You don’t need to wash the whole pillow, as you can take off the covering and put it in the washing machine. It is made of polyester, so it won’t get damaged in the washer. Besides, it is a highly durable and eco-friendly fabric. Misiki pillow will serve you in the long term and remove your pain for sure.
- 🍁【Away From Neck and Shoulder Pain】This pillow is made of high quality memory foam with moderate hardness to ensure a comfortable support while sleeping, minimizing the neck pain and shoulder stiffness. The memory foam with a temperature sensing function that makes the pillow fit your neck perfectly.
- 🍁【Ergonomic Design】The butterfly-shaped pillow designed with cervical contour and central cavity to keep the neck bent naturally, properly support the neck and head, facilitate alignment of the head with the body and spine. The wedge extension part helps to support the thoracic. Special armrests of orthopedic pillows support the arms.
- 🍁【Ideal Pillow for Back/Side Sleeping】Butterfly-shaped pillows customized for back sleeping and side sleeping. When you sleep on your back, the natural traction of the neck and head support can reduce the pressure on the posterior skull, reduce snoring and improve sleep quality. When sleeping on the side, please sleep on the wing on one side, make sure the incision under the wing fits your shoulder curves, release the shoulder pressure, and place the arm on the armrests to reduce the numbness.
- Butterfly-shaped design for shoulders rest;
- Keeps your body stable;
- Perfect for every sleep position;
- Machine washable pillowcase.
- Huge – that’s why costs more than other models.
K Ka Ua Neck Roll Pillow – Special Pillow for Neck Pain for Home and Traveling
K Ka Ua pillow has a perfect size for home and traveling. You can use it everywhere and for any purpose: for sleeping, to give your feet a rest, while reading, etc. The cushion is small enough to put in a bag for transport. It has a roll form, and thanks to the memory foam, it doesn’t lose shape through time.
One piece of memory foam is a secret of the quality product. Many other models that use the shredded foam can be soft and smooth but don’t give you enough support. It’s an essential feature when you look for pillows for sore neck. However, this pillow can be too firm for some people. If you prefer the high pillows and you do not have a very strong neck pain, K Ka Ua cushion will fit you.
The bamboo and polyester covering make a pillow nice to the feel. Such materials’ combination protects the cushion from dust and moisture and also doesn’t allow dust mites to appear inside. That means you will have a lower chance of morning sneezing, runny nose, or watery eyes because of allergens’ development.
- THIS IS NO ORDINARY PILLOW- The Ka Ua Cervical Support Pillow is meant to help support your neck, back, knees, and other joints. The firm 4 inch pillow will work for most people, but not everyone. PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH YOUR PILLOW. WE WILL DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO HELP YOU.
- SPEND THE NIGHT WITH YOUR OWN PREMIUM KA UA (HAWAIIAN RAIN) ™ SUPPORT PILLOW- How many hours have you lost to recurring aches and pains? Create more quality time for yourself with the right cervical support.
- LONG LASTING QUALITY AND MATERIALS- Single piece memory foam construction guarantees that our pillows will never lose their shape or settle. This investment in your health will last for years.
- Perfect size for home and traveling;
- Keeps the shape;
- Top-quality materials;
- Protective covering.
- The pillow can be too firm for someone.
Healthex Cervical Neck Roll Pillow – Best Pillow to Prevent Neck Pain and Other Aches
A good pillow will help you get rid not only from neck pain but from any pain that disturbs you. Healthex produces the cushion that has a roll form and can also be used to release the knee, feet, lower back, and other aches. You just need to place it in the right position and get a rest. You will see the result already after the first week.
This pillow is a therapeutic product that keeps the natural curve of your spine and neck. If you have serious sleeping disorders, this pillow is just right for you. It also helps you reduce the post-surgery pains. What is great – you can use this cushion while watching TV or reading a book. It will protect you from the continuous pain that can appear not only during sleep.
On the first side, you may think it is uncomfortable to lay on the Healthex cushion. Despite this, the pillow doesn’t slide or slip. So, you can change your position during the night as much as you need. The pillow doesn’t heat up and decreases the pressure allowing your neck to relax.
The memory foam is top-quality, and the bamboo outer cover protects it from dust and moisture. Don’t worry if you are a person with allergies – this pillow is hypoallergenic and is gentle to your skin. It doesn’t cause any breathing issues and helps you to cope with snoring. It’s a pleasure to rest on the Healthex pillow.
- DESIRABLE NECK SUPPORT — Support your neck effectively & maintain proper neck alignment using our cervical neck pillow, keep pressure off your spinal disc & joints, and even rest your lower back, knees, calves, feet – get rid of menacing aches & pains, and enjoy a peaceful slumber with HEALTHEX neck roll pillows for sleeping.
- THERAPEUTIC CERVICAL PILLOW — Neck roll pillow for sleeping helps relieve the debilitating effects of sciatica, arthritis, back pain, post-surgery pain, helps the vertebrae stay relaxed, keeps the neck & shoulders aligned, and maintains the natural curvature of the spine.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN — Measuring 6.2 x 18.5 inches, our cylindrical pillow conforms to the shape of the body, doesn’t slip or slide, doesn’t get heated up, and stimulates the vital pressure points — COMFORTABLE neck roll pillow.
- Helps you to get rid of any pain type;
- It doesn’t slip or slide;
- Doesn’t heat up;
- Water and dustproof.
- Doesn’t support shoulders.
How to Find the Best Pillow Guide and Other Tips
What causes neck pain at night?
There can be diverse reasons why your neck hurts. But if you feel pain when you wake up or when you’re laying in bed, there is only one true reason for that: your pillow just doesn’t work properly. That means your spine doesn’t take the right position during sleeping. It happens when your pillow is too high or too low. In both cases, your body suffers when you sleep because the nerves are pressed out, and your vascular system doesn’t work right.
Besides neck aches, you may also feel the shoulders and head pains that can become compulsive. A way too soft material can also be the reason for this. When the pillow doesn’t keep its form, your heavy head can fall in and curve the spine. In this case, the neck and shoulders feel too much pressure. So, when you wake up in the morning, you feel like you have been working for the whole night.
How a pillow can reduce neck pain?
Many people start taking medicines or do yoga when they feel the neck ache. I think yoga is great, but sometimes you just need to change your pillow. You spend every night sleeping on it, and even if you start doing sport, the pain may continue. The pillow that is made especially for people with neck pains can help you get the right position during sleep. It changes a lot.
A good cushion allows you to find a suitable sleep position and reduces the pressure points.The memory foam, which is used in the neck pain relief pillows, is firm but aerial. Such a fabric keeps the shape, and your head won’t fall in. Usually, the neck starts to hurt because it feels too much pressure on it. And the pillow helps your neck to rest no matter how you prefer to sleep: on the stomach, on the back, or on the side.
How to choose a pillow for neck pain?
Most pillows are provided for all people, no matter what position they prefer at night. However, I recommend you to search for the specific pillow due to your preferences. I mean, if you’re a stomach sleeper, look for a pillow that will suit your type the most. It’s not difficult because there are many models nowadays.
Many people don’t like sleeping on orthopedic pillows, because they are too firm. It doesn’t work for everyone, but it’s better to choose the cushion that is soft enough. Memory foam is the best variant. Polyester will also fit perfectly. Besides, the pillowcase made of cotton will be silky soft, and you will enjoy the pillow for sure.
You should find the pillow that is hypoallergenic – it will also be dust and waterproof. The neck pain is not the only problem you can face. If there will be dust miles in the cushion, you can get breathing issues and allergies. So, you should consider this while choosing the pillow. The pillows I have described above are among top-rated and people choose them frequently – so you can feel secure purchasing one of the pillows from my review!
The Most Common Questions
As I have already mentioned above – It can be hard to find the right pillow, especially if you are looking for the one that will reduce your neck pain. But I believe you can do this. Here you will find some extra tips to make your searching process easier.
Which shape is best for my sleeping position?
Many pillows models will fit every sleeping position. Usually, you will feel comfortable with any cushion type. But from my experience, some pillows are good for side sleepers, and some are only good for stomach sleepers.
If you like to sleep on the side, the standard pillow shape will be the best for you. You may also choose those types that have high edges that will keep your head stable, so you won’t slip from the pillow during the night. For stomach sleepers, the butterfly-shaped or curved cushions will fit perfectly. It is much easier to place the arm with such form. And if you prefer sleeping on the back, the roll pillow is what you need.
How to sleep on a pillow for neck pain?
When you buy a pillow for neck pain, you should try different positions to choose the best one for you. But you need to remember that your neck should lay on the pillow curve. Only in this case, the cushion will reduce the pressure. And it’s better to place your head in the center. It will be more stable during the night. But it doesn’t matter if you sleep on the back, stomach, or side – your pain will go away in any case.
Are cervical pillows hypoallergenic?
Most of the orthopedic pillows are hypoallergenic because they are manufactured to increase your well-being. Cervical pillows are not an exception. However, not all the cushions for neck pain will protect you from allergens. The pillows I have described above are all safe, but there are other models on the market that contain chemicals and can cause allergies. So, you need to be careful and check the description every time.
What if a pillow doesn’t reduce neck pain?
When you start sleeping on the neck support pillow, it can be comfortless during the first two weeks. But usually, you adapt to the cushion during this time. If you don’t feel relief in a month, or your pain has even increased, the reason for this may not be the pillow itself. In this case, I highly recommend you to see a doctor.
Time to Total up
When you choose a pillow, you should consider the fact that it defines your well-being. So, even if your neck doesn’t hurt, the recommendations for pillow choosing that I gave you will come in handy anyway. Of course, the standard pillows fit many people. But maybe they just didn’t try a better one. The recommended pillows for neck pain not only reduce the aches but also improve your breathing and help you to feel more relaxed.
As I have said before, it can be hard to find a suitable pillow for neck pain relief. But with this guide, it will be much easier. Now you know what features a reliable cushion should have. The most significant element is the foam material. It needs to be top-quality, otherwise you won’t feel relief while sleeping on it. There are pillows for everyone, no matter what sleep position you prefer, and I think it’s great. Do you suffer from neck pain? Did you try to change a pillow? Did it help you? I’m waiting for your comments.
Last update on 2021-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API